Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Unable to delete or modify a menu

Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:31 AM
PAFISH

7 posts · Aug 2010
Unable to delete or modify a menu

Using 3.04 and Atahualpa 3.5.3 http://fishingnet.com/wordpress/about/

All going nicely till I tried to add more items to a second menu. Could be I just made it too big. Tried to delete single items got a 500 - Premature end of script headers: nav-menus.php

It then appeared corrupted (dropdowns still there, but 5 lines of menu items appeared behind this).

Tried to delete the entire menu and got a 500 - Premature end of script headers: nav-menus.php

Have worked around it by putting up a blank third menu and removing the second one for the mo, but still cannot delete the second one one or add anything new to the 3rd one. same error msg.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:36 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
I tried to add more items to a second menu
what second menu? Are you using the WordPress menu's or the atahualpa menu?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:18 AM
PAFISH

7 posts · Aug 2010
It is the category menu I am having problems with. Sorry I called this menu 2 - items added via the WP interface. Its this "menu 2" that appears corrupted. Using the javascript.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
So let me see if I have it right.
You go to dashboard->appearances->menus and create a menu 'my-menu'
on the same page, under 'Theme Locations' you use 'my-menu' in the 'Menu 2' slot
At ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area you are using %cats

so how many items do you have in 'my-menu'?
are you adding pages and Categories, external links?
What does it look like (example
page-1
cat-1
cat-1a
external-1
cat-b
page-2
page-2a

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 27, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:24 PM
PAFISH

7 posts · Aug 2010
I think the answer is yes to all of the above.

I had all English counties under regional parents, all scottish counties, all fish species plus a few more .. perhaps 100+

I don't think this should have been a problem.. a bunch of javascript.

On reflection I did a couple of stupid things:

I merged 2 categories "Salmon" and "salmon" .. all seemed ok.

I then tried to rename the root "wordpress" file to "angling" thinking this would be better for SEO long term.

It did not work, so I rolled back by editing the DB.

All seemed ok... except I could not edit or delete menus.

Then I got in touch.

Subsequently I changed the default category from "England" to "New"

That has allowed me to delete the category menu.

But its Still There!!

I need help. First time I strayed from the defaults and I messed up. Can you help. Happy to Pay!!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
I then tried to rename the root "wordpress" file to "angling"
just what 'file' are you talking about? the wordpress folder?
Quote:
I changed the default category from "England" to "New"
Do you mean that you renamed the category 'uncategorized' to England, then changed it to 'New'? My suggestion is to leave the uncategorized category alone.

Create a new category you want as your 'default' say you call it 'New'. Now go to dashboard->settings->writting and set the 'Default Post Category' option to your category 'New'

It sounds like you may have a messed up site. Do you have a database backup from BEFORE you started making these changes?

How many posts in your site?
How long has it been active?