Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Categories in center area

Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:18 AM
timdevogel

141 posts · May 2009
Categories in center area

I'd like to set up a site with in the center area categories, each starting with an excerpt and a thumbnail. For an example see www.nu.nl. Is this possible in Atahualpa and could you help me on this?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Here are some possible options which you would have to "Play with" to determine if they would do what you want.
  • Juggledad's Custom Query template that is part of Ata 3.7.12
  • TPG Get Posts plugin
  • List Category Posts plugin
  • Use manual excerpts with featured images
All of these will need to be coupled with the proper CSS to display as you want of course.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:39 AM
timdevogel

141 posts · May 2009
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:05 AM
badmash

4 posts · Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Here are some possible options which you would have to "Play with" to determine if they would do what you want.
[list][*]Juggledad's Custom Query template that is part of Ata 3.7.12
<...>
I am probably looking for something similar - I want to combine static welcome text with the latest posts (blogroll) on my home page. I am using 3.7.1 Atahualpa and can't risk an update at the moment. Is there a way to implement Custom Query template in my case, or any other solution?

I found possible solution with editing page.php file, but my theme doesn't have one. I would appreciate some help on that. Thank you.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:01 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could search for a "latest posts" plugin or use one of the latest posts widgets on a page by using a plugin that lets you put widgets on pages.

you are on a release that is eleven (11) versions behind and coming on 2 years old.....

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 19, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:10 AM
timdevogel

141 posts · May 2009
Okay, I've been looking into this, and I think you guys put me on the right track, but I need some help. How do I set up Juggledad's Custom Query template that is part of Ata 3.7.12?

Also, I've decided to choose a different approach. Now, I'd like the first post on my home page in the center column to show a larger thumbnail and some text, both spanning the full width of that column. Then, beneath that, excerpts of the most recent posts with thumbnails devided over 2 columns.

So any new post shows up in the first area and, as new posts are added, moves down to the smaller columns and eventually off the page.

Am I right in thinking that this can be done with Juggledad's Custom Query template?

Last edited by timdevogel; Jun 27, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:27 AM
timdevogel

141 posts · May 2009
Still waiting for an answer.... Vacation time?