Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Placing widgets on pages

Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:02 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
This is more a general question, and I'm not sure if it falls under the atahualpa theme or not: is it possible to put widgets on a static page, not in a sidebar? I have widgets associated with various plug-ins that update themselves (for instance, a touring schedule for bands) and I would like that widget to appear on my static greeting page, in a specific location, and not in a sidebar. is it possible to create a table or div structure on my static home page and place the widgets into it with code?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
See the top of functions.php on how widget areas are initialized. Repeat what's there for 2 sidebars for X additional sidebars:

Put this

PHP Code:
    register_sidebar(array(

'name'=>'The Title under which this sidebar will appear at Site Admin -> Widgets',

'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">',

'after_widget' => '</div></div>',

'before_title' => '<div class="widget-title"><h3>',

'after_title' => '</h3></div><div class="widget-content">',
    )) 
before this:

PHP Code:

# Load functions 
This part

PHP Code:

'after_title' => '</h3></div><div class="widget-content">'
can also be

PHP Code:
        'before_widget' => '',

'after_widget' => '',

'before_title' => '',

'after_title' => ''
Those tags in the two existing sidebar setups are there for the sidebar widgets, you can leave them empty or add your own HTML tags. It's pretty self explanatory for what these tags are. before_title means before widget title. Many widgets such as the text widget don't need to have a title so there's also no need to wrap the title into some HTML tags.

Then put

PHP Code:
<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(X) ) : endif; ?>
wherever you want to have that widget area in the template. Replace X with the number of the widget area. 1 and 2 are already used for the 2 sidebars. If you put another one into functions.php, that would be the third, so you would replace X with 3.

To have the widget area only on the front page you'd also wrap it into a conditional statement

PHP Code:
<?php if ( is_front_page() ) { ?>
<?php 
if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(3) ) : endif; ?>
<?php 
?>
Put that code into index.php, for instance above

PHP Code:
        <?php // Post Footer
to have the widget area above the Post Footer
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:49 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Whoa. This will take some absorption. But I am gonna give it a shot.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:25 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much for taking the time to put up that tutorial. So great.

My whole front page just became so much easier to control, the entire main section is now widgets.

http://www.midriffrecords.com/midriff_TEST

Is there a downside to widgetizing? Does it slow down a site in any horrible way? Thanks again!

tony
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:30 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This should not slow down anything. But you would have to apply these file edits again if you ever were to update to a newer Atahualpa version. The current version is rather mature though and you could skip a few new versions if you see no problem with the current version.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:51 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Once I get this site live it is staying the way it is until internet 4.0.

Thanks!

Tony
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:42 PM
amber

13 posts · Feb 2009
Putting:

<?php if ( is_front_page() ) { ?>
<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(3) ) : endif; ?>
<?php } ?>

right above:

<?php // Post Footer

made my widgets duplicate themselves, putting the code nearer the top of index.php solved the problem.

Question:
How would I get my 3 new widgets to line up next to one another rather than stack one on top of the other?

(so they look like 3 columns, or make that, 5 columns including the original 2?)

Thanks - happy to have widgets in the body of my page!

Last edited by amber; Feb 22, 2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:26 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
That's not really related to the widgets as such. You can put the widget areas anywhere inside HTML, i.e. into DIV containers or table cells. For 3 containers side by side, table cells would be more robust and easier

PHP Code:
<table width="100%">
<tr>
<td>
<?php 
if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(3) ) : endif; ?>
<?php 
?> 
</td>
<td>
 <?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(4) ) : endif; ?>
 <?php ?> 
</td>
<td>
 <?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(5) ) : endif; ?>
 <?php ?> 
</td>
</tr>
</table>
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:22 PM
amber

13 posts · Feb 2009
This works sort of. The widgets *do* end up in 3 side by side columns,
but if there is too much text they spill into and cover the right sidebar,
also, their size is arbitrary, the ones on the left very skinny, and the furthest
to the right the widest.

How would we fix the column widths/height; say, make widgets 3 and 5, width: 200px,
by height: 200px;
and widget 4: width: 150px, by height: 200px?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:51 PM
amber

13 posts · Feb 2009
Having researched a bit it seems its a bit complicated to make each column a fixed width.
If the content is larger than the width then it can make the column expand. Its important
to know the width of the body the columns are going into, and how much width (combined)
the contents of each column will be, including things such as padding/margins/etc.

Very interesting.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:00 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Looks like once again the forum has answered my question! The table solution seems to be the right way to go...would it require modifying any of your settings in the main style.css regarding the widgets and their display (block) settings?

And if I want the titles of the widgets on my main page to be different from the sidebars, what would be the best route to style them? Should I just make custom settings or do I need to modify the original css?

Thanks!

Last edited by mactony; Feb 23, 2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: forgot one of my original questions!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:22 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You should be able to give each widget its own title regardless of where you put it, into the existing widgets areas in the sidebars or into the newly created widget areas. The before_title, after_title stuff from above is just a way to style the widgets and their content differently depending on where you put them. after_title etc is not meant to provide different title text. You could have a "widget area A" and a "widget area B". By giving area A and area B different HTML tags, i.e. different classes, when you create them in functions.php, you'll get this: Put Widget XY into area A and it looks (= is styled) differently than it is when you put it into area B. But the Widget XY can only be in A or B, it cannot be in both area A and area B at the same time. You can have text widgets in several different widget areas at the same time but those wouldn't be the exactly same widgets. They would be "text widget 1", "text widget 2" etc. The RSS widget can also be used multiple times, but it would also be multiple instances, not identical copies.
I may have misunderstood your question

In functions.php, right before
PHP Code:

# Load functions 

add this:
PHP Code:
    register_sidebar(array(

'name'=>'Anything, such as Widgets Left',

))  

register_sidebar(array(

'name'=>'Widgets Middle',

))  

register_sidebar(array(

'name'=>'Widgets Right',

)) 

Then address the new widgets either by their ID or through their parent container, the table cell:

HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Inserts, accessing each widget through its parent container = table cell

HTML Code:
td.widget-left div.widget {
....  /* style the widget container */
}
td.widget-left div.widget-title {
....  /* style the widget title container */
}
td.widget-left div.widget-title h3 {
....  /* style the widget title text */
}

Repeat this for td.widget-right and td-widget-middle. To give all widgets in the new widget table the same styling, CSS Insert
HTML Code:
table#widget-table div.widget {
 ....  /* style the widget container */
 }
table#widget-table div.widget-title {
 ....  /* style the widget title container */
 }
table#widget-table div.widget-title h3 {
 ....  /* style the widget title text */
 }

And into index.php put the following code wherever you want to have this widget table. For instance right after <?php get_header(); ?> to put it on top of the middle column (of the Atahualpa layout), or right before <?php get_footer(); ?> to put it at the bottom of the middle column:

PHP Code:
<table id="widget-table" style="width: 100%; table-layout: fixed">
<colgroup>
<col style="width: 200px" />
<col />
<col style="width: 250px" />
</colgroup>
<tr>
<td class="widget-left">
<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(3) ) : endif; ?>
</td>
<td class="widget-middle">
 <?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(4) ) : endif; ?>
</td>
<td class="widget-right">
 <?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(5) ) : endif; ?>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
@amber: See above for a way to fix the expanding columns by giving the table a fixed layout and colgroup. The code above will make the table span the available width of the parent container, i.e. the middle column of the Atahualpa layout, the left column will be 200px, the right 250px, and the one in the middle will fill the available space. Note that the column widths of the table are being controlled through colgroup, not through the TD's directly.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:36 PM
amber

13 posts · Feb 2009
Well, that works even less than the regular tables. (At least in Firefox).
Now the widgets are stepped, plus the left and middle overlap,
and the right widget continues to spilling over and
out of the body and into the right side of the page.

And even though this was inserted only in index.php, its now causing
the widgets to show up on every page.

I do appreciate your quick response you have made to the problem though.
Obviously this isn't an easy one!

Last edited by amber; Feb 23, 2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:55 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
hi flynn, i think you got the gist of my question. it was more about having multiple styles for the widget titles.

so, I gave the table an id as you indicated, and updated an external style sheet. the table idea was fantastic, now I would just like to style the h3 in the "widget table" with an underline and left border, but it isn't coming out that way.

i left your original stylings on the table and on the functions page in place, and styled using all your examples.

the sheet is here: midriffrecords.com/midriff.css (it's the first item)

the table is on the index.php here: midriffrecords.com/midriff_TEST

even tho they are in different directories, i made sure they're linked.

i think at this point it is just a css error on my part but i can't find it...any thoughts? thanks!

tony
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:27 PM
amber

13 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn,

Though they fit into the 200px or whatever, there's odd padding between
each widget area.

The good part about the code is it works (kindof) with the other widgets I'm using, at least they don't
overlap each other now.

But its weird that putting the code right after
<?php get_header(); ?>
on index.php inserts the widgets into the body of every page.
that's not supposed to happen, right?

Lastly, the basic wp text widget doesn't work with Atahualpa, or at least in this instance.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:49 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Post a URL please. If your widget is too wide for the width of the given table cell something needs to be done or happen with the widget, it needs to overlap, hide, be cut off, resize or expand the table cell and/or the table. All the CSS in the world cannot help with that without doing any of the aforementioned.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
amber

13 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn,
Here's the url.

http://synchronicitysandbox.com/

Are you saying that each widget needs to be formatted
to fit the particular pixel area set up for it using
the table coding you provided above?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I see nothing odd or overlapping.

The table cells simply need some more styling. It seems you've looked around to find a solution to the few problems that come with using tables for layout. The fixed-layout/colgroup technique I posted above solves those problems.

Add valign=top to each one of the three table cells, and add a padding to each table cell through CSS.
PHP Code:
<table id="widget-table" style="width: 100%; table-layout: fixed">
<colgroup>
<col style="width: 200px" />
<col />
<col style="width: 250px" />
</colgroup>
<tr>
<td valign="top" class="widget-left">
<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(3) ) : endif; ?>
</td>
<td valign="top"  class="widget-middle">
</td>
<td valign="top"  class="widget-right">
</td>
</tr>
</table>

You can add a width to the middle column as well by changing this in the code above
<col /> to <col style="width: XXXpx" />

CSS Insert for the padding for the 3 table cells:

HTML Code:
td.widget-left, 
td-widget-middle, 
td.widget-right {
padding: 0 10px 10px 0;
}

Or without right padding for the right column, and no bottom padding for any column

HTML Code:
td.widget-left, 
td-widget-middle {
padding-right: 10px;
}

Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:15 AM
amber

13 posts · Feb 2009
Thank you! It works perfectly now.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:20 PM
Humphrey

7 posts · Apr 2009
Hi there,

I am trying to use this to put the three widgets in the table into my custom 'home' page which is titled 'main'

I have my WP Admin -> Settings -> Reading: Set to show static pages, with 'Main' set up as the Front Page and 'The Blog' set up as my Posts Page.

The code to initialize the widgets has worked fine, they have been turned on and the table works fine, I have been able to edit the width of left and right to tweak the way the widgets look. However, I can't get the widgets to show on my 'Main' page, they are only showing on the 'The Blog' page. All my pages have been created from a template off of 'index.php' and the widgets don't show on my third page, only the second (Post Page) one.

If I try and install the command
PHP Code:
into the table, either at the very start (followed by the endif at the end of the table, and even without it) or just before each line of:

PHP Code:
<td class="widget-left">
</td>
nothing happens on the 'Main' page but the 'The Blog' page will completely vanish everything into a blank white page if clicked.

I was also having trouble trying to remove the text of 'Main' from the very start of the page, is there a simple fix for this too?

the link to my site is www.hhworld.net/blog and from there you can see the widgets working on the 'The Blog' page.

hope you can help!

http://www.hhworld.net/blog/?page_id=14
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:14 PM
Fizzgigg

1 posts · Jun 2009
I've been working on this all day, and I can't get it to work. I don't know if it just doesn't work with WP2.8 and Atahualpa v3.3.3 or if I'm just too stupid to get it. The "best" and only thing I seem to be able to do is a database error when I edit functions.php.

Can anyone help me? I've been trying to merge post #12 and post #18, am I missing something?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:12 AM
conon

21 posts · Mar 2009
Hi,

I'm using Atahualpa 3.2 where I'm using three sidebar columns (left, middle, right) with widgets on the start page. I have some trouble with the margin and padding between the different sidebars when viewing another pages.

There's no problem when viewing the start page but when viewing another page there's a 15px left padding on the middle sidebar: http://bit.ly/aPvhq

And when viewing an entire page with only the middle sidebar i also got a 15px right padding: http://bit.ly/Yojxe

I understand it's because of the td#middle left/right-padding preference but I can't get the middle sidebar with margin on the right or left side on the start page without this preferences.

Any help Appreciated.

Best,
Sebastian
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:21 PM
OrganicAnalyticsNow

14 posts · Jan 2009
I am using Atahualpa 3.4.1 and WordPress 2.8.3.
We are trying to create a profile page with only 3 horizontally cell for widgets in the center column and no sidebars. We want the header and footer to stay the same, but for some reason we're having problems with setting it up, even with reading through the previous postings and still can't get it to work. Is this because the theme has been updated and something has changed?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:13 PM
jdwrite

12 posts · Aug 2009
Awesome information, but doesn't seem to be working with 3.4.2.

I followed all the information, and configured my "main body widget", as I'd called it. When I put into "index.php", nothing showed up. I placed the code in several places but no joy. (http://jdwrite.com/karate)

updated: This didn't work when I put the second part of the code in the "index.php" file, but DID work when I put it in "page.php".

Thanks!

Last edited by jdwrite; Aug 20, 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: updated info
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:13 AM
geektink

2 posts · Jan 2010
Atlanta, GA
Can you add center widgets to other pages besides the front page?