Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Heeelllppppp! I'm going contact forms plugin crazy!

View Poll Results: Which Contact Form or Form Generator do you use?
WordPress-Ready Contact Form V2.OWP 0 0%
WP Contact Form 0 0%
Contact Form 7 2 50.00%
Tiny Contact Form 0 0%
FormBuilder 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:57 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
I've been spending, on and off, at least two days studying various contact form and/or form generation plugins. And they weren't 8 hour days. ... And. ... I'm about to tear my hair out. (I figured setting up a contact form would be a no brainer ... not!)

What I'm after is something that doesn't require a degree in PHP and CSS to setup, good looking or at least decent looking, is at least somewhat configurable, goes on a separate page, and has the security chops to not ultimately load me down with tons of spam.

Just about everything I've researched seems to either not have been updated since the last blue moon, or has tons of "issues" which don't seem to have been responded to, or has "performance" problems or ... well ... take your pick. Just about the time I see one that seems to make sense I get onto the forum here or on WordPress and find there are issues with it (like FormBuilder seeming to have a significant performance hit).

Here are the ones that I've narrowed it down to (if you can call it "narrowing"). I'd appreciate input from y'all on what works and what doesn't (in no particular order):

1. WordPress-Ready Contact Form V2.0WP (looks decent but not sure):
http://green-beast.com/blog/?page_id=136

2. WP Contact Form: (seems too simple and not secure at all)
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-contact-form/

3. Contact Form 7: (seems very coding intensive to set up but a lot of downloads)
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/contact-form-7/

4. Tiny Contact Form (probably too simple all the way around)
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tiny-contact-form/

5. FormBuilder: (looks pretty slick and fairly secure but I've seen comments on performance hits)
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/formbuilder/

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Done some more research. Wish I could add one more to the survey list: CForms V10.x.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:32 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
And another one: Secure Form Mailer Plugin for WP.

Certainly someone on this site is using a contact form that works brilliantly and securely?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:29 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I'm using MM Forms. It's easy and so far, no problems.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 07:19 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Thank you, Paulae. I appreciate the response. ... Clearly, I didn't include enough contact form plugins on my survey. I'll look into MM.

Anyone else?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:14 PM
krystyna

121 posts · Apr 2009
Formbuilder is great, BUT if your WP site has dropdowns and you're using Atahualpa, the dropdowns disappear.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:22 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Are you sure it's formbuilder? I found that Eshop is filtering the pages list, but nothing like that in Formbuilder. I posted a possible fix for Eshop in your other thread
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Thank you all for the input so far. Any one else? I'm putting off the contact page to the bitter end while waiting for the votes to be counted.

If I didn't add yours in the survey (my bad) drop a quick reply.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
NealSchaffer

6 posts · Jun 2009
Hi fromtheranks,

I am in the process of moving my blog from wordpress.com to wordpress.org. I just started doing this two days ago, and I am not doing any HTML or CSS editing. I am a complete beginner, and that is why I chose this theme!

I also wanted to put a contact form in one of my pages, and like you, looked to this forum as a resource. Because of all of the downloads, I decided to use Contact Form 7. And, one minute after installation, without changing any settings or any codings, I was able to produce the following contact form:

http://windmillnetworking.com/?page_id=24

All you need to do is, after installing the plug-in, go to its settings page and copy and paste the one line of code into your page. It will generate the same simple contact form that you can see on my site. Now, if you want to further customize it, I cannot help you, but if you just want a quick and easy contact form, look no further and install Contact Form 7!

Hope the info. helps!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:51 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
NealShaffer,

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it.

And. I 100% agree on Atahualpa. I spent quite a bit of time researching themes before deciding on this one, and I did so for much the same reasons as you.

I did look at your site (thank you for including the link) and the issue that I have is the same one I had with recaptcha_form. The message box responds to the theme options (shadowing, hovering, etc.) but the Name and Email columns do not -- unlike the Leave A Reply comment form which is consistent with the theme settings.

In my continuing research, I just installed and tried SimpleModal Contact Form but, though it works, it is completely different. It functions as a popup only, apparently, so (although I can tweak the colors via its CSS apparently) it has an entirely different look and feel than the Leave A Reply form.

I'm shooting for simplicity and 100% consistency with the theme.

Thanks for your input.