Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Please help. Users' comments are appearing on wrong pages?

Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:52 AM
cosmiclove

23 posts · Jul 2009
Hi ATA users and mods. I just noticed something very strange for the first time with some comments on my site.
Some of them were posted more than a week ago and they are now showing up on newer pages I have created just a few days ago.

I am positive, absolutely no comments were posted on the later pages, and I am surprised to see a bunch of old comments showing on the newly created pages. I have no idea how to address this issue. Can you please suggest a solution? Are you aware of this?

Merci beaucoup!
Herman
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The first thing I would do is make note of the post and comments, then I would deactivate all plugins and see what happens. If the problem still exists, I would switch to the default theme and see wat happens. If
1) you have no fancy comment plugins and/or
2) you haven't messed with the wordpress code and/or
3) you haven't coded and of your own queries

my first guess is that you have corruption in the database. You should do a database back up immediately (download and install the wp-dbmanager plugin and set it up - or get into phpMyAdmin and backup the DB) and you should repair and optimize it AFTER YOU DO A BACKUP.

HOWEVER, this may not help. The database is a series of tables and some rows of a table may have a key to a row in another table. So you may have a post with an ID of 34,
HTML Code:
POSTID=35, POST TEST="This is the first post', etc
when a comment is added to the comment table, it gets a comment ID of say 543, but since it is with this post, it should also get a post ID of 34.
HTML Code:
COMMENTID=543, COMMENT TEXT='what a wonderful post you have made', POSTID=34, etc
COMMENTID=544, COMMENT TEXT='I just love your new site', POSTID=34, etc
So to find the comments for a post, the code just says, 'show me all comments with the comment-post-id equal to my post-id'
HTML Code:
This is the first post
   what a wonderful post you have made
   I just love your new site
Somehow this is being messed up so that instead of having POSTID=34 assigned to the comments, another ID is being placed there.

Unless it is something simple, like a plugin conflict, finding an error like this is going to be difficult and time consuming and you are probably going to need to hire someone to help you out. You should evaluate how much you have in the database - ie if you have 20 osts and 30 comments, it might be easier and less expensive to manually re-enter them.

You may also want to refresh the wordpress/plugins and theme code (ie replace all the code with a fresh copy of the same version) in case it is a corruption in the code
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:01 AM
cosmiclove

23 posts · Jul 2009
Hi Juggledad,

I really appreciate you taking the time to suggest possible actions I could take. I will make sure to check all plugins and use the default theme to see what's wrong.

I suspect a plugin I have installed a couple of weeks ago is to blame. it is the Secure Comment form plugin.

I hope my database isn't corrupted or anything. I won't afford to try anything you've suggested or even hire somebody to do it. I may just deleted the posts and/or the comments manually if need be. Thank you much!

herman
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:50 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
try disabling the plugin, that may be all you have to do, but in any case, let us know the results