Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

Post Title Issue When I Use Quote Marks or Ampersand

Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:58 AM
ldaily

8 posts · Mar 2009
Post Title Issue When I Use Quote Marks or Ampersand

Just upgraded to the latest version of the theme and notice now that when I post something if the headline includes quote marks -- like "Mary Poppins" Tickets -- or an ampersand -- like "Dogs & Cats" when the item posts it sometimes cuts off all the words after the first " or &. I can't tell if this is an issue with the scheduling system (as in when I don't post immediately but put something into the queue to post in a few days) or if it happens only when I do an immediate post. I do note that when it chops off the headline it seems to do the same in the new section on the edit post page that shows what headline appears on single post pages. And if I see it and try to change the headline after it has posted only removing the " " or & solves the issue. It's not just a matter of trying to retype and re-post.

Anyone have a clue what's going on and what I can do to prevent it? Sometimes I need to use " " or & in a headline. It's the journalist in me.

Thanks,
Laura
www.milehighonthecheap.com
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the '&' is a special character and needs to be entered as '&'
see this page for all the special character codes: http://www.nouilles.info/keyboard_shortcuts.html
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:27 PM
ldaily

8 posts · Mar 2009
So I actually use that entire sequence in the title when I am writing the header (headline) and using & or quotation marks? This isn't in the body copy just the headline/title of the post.

Thanks,
Laura
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Right, if you want 'Dogs & Cats' you would type 'Dogs & Cats'
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:21 AM
Grum

49 posts · Feb 2010
Scotland
Thanks for that, guys - I've just been trying for days to find out why my post page titles were not displaying apostrophes and hyphens correctly and had assumed it was a Wordpress issue. This sorted the problem immediately.

It does seem a bit old-fashioned that you have to enter the codes manually if you want a special character in the title - surely we're beyond that these days?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:51 PM
elgorrion

4 posts · Jul 2010
I have been having a similar but not identical problem: If I use an amperand, hyphen or apostrophe in the post title, the post title displays correctly but the browser title bar shows code instead. So the ampersand in Dogs & Cats shows in the browser title bar as "&#038" (ampersand hash zero three eight); if I use & instead of the ampersand, again the post title is ok (Dogs & Cats) but the page title in the browser title bar shows Dogs & Cats. A similar thing happens with hyphens that have a space either side, eg; "The Crown Inn - re-opening shortly" the 1st hyphen gets messed up but the second without spaces is ok.

I thought this was a WP, FF or Vista problem, but if I use another theme it doesn't happen.

I hope what I am typing here does not get messed up!

Last edited by elgorrion; Aug 26, 2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: what I am typing gets messed up