Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Menu in sidebar

Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:44 AM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to make a vertical menu in the left sidebar. See the links in the left sidebar on www.ikff.no. Currently the links here are shown as a list, but I'd like have a menu with buttons in different colurs. I've tried to install several menu-widgets but none of them works.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:57 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I just spent several hours trying many different menu plugins and they all have their advantages and disadvantages so it is difficult to recommend any particular one. Just go to wordpress.org and search the plugins for menu, menu widgets, dropdown, menu dropdown, accordion, menu tree, etc. One that has buttons and was interesting is menubar but you really have to spend time fiddling with several.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:56 PM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
I've tried that widget before, but I couldn't get it to work. The website for the widget tells me to insert the following line at the end of header.php: <?php do_action ('wp_menubar', 'your_menu_name'); ?>

But when I do this I get the following error:
WP Menubar error: Menu 'your_menu_name' not found! Please create a menu named 'your_menu_name' and try again.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ikff/www/wp-content/plugins/menubar/wpm-main.php:122) in /home/ikff/www/wp-admin/theme-editor.php on line 75
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Had you created a menu called 'your_menu_name'?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
No, I called it something else, but still get that error. It's strange, none of the menu-plugins I've tried seem to work. Is there some other way to turn the pages-list in the left sidebar into a menu with buttons?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Did you follow these instructions from the plugin site especially the one about creating a menubar-templates folder and uploading some Menubar templates after downloading from their site?
First installation procedure

To install the current Menubar version for the first time:
a) Download the plugin archive from the WordPress Plugin Directory and unzip it, then upload the resulting menubar folder with all its contents to wp-content/plugins;
b) From the Plugins administration panel, activate the current Menubar version;
c) From the Appearance administration panel you can now access the new Menubar sub-panel.
Steps a) and b) are the same steps performed by the automatic install procedure, so you can safely run the automatic install. In both cases, before using Menubar, you’ll have to:
d) Create a new folder named menubar-templates under wp-content/plugins;
e) Install one or more Menubar templates, at least Suckerfish (see Menubar templates).
Now you can create your first menu (see next section).
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:28 PM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
Thank you. I followed the instructions and the menubar shows up on the page now. But it looks very ugly, see www.ikff.no.
How do I change the colours, height and width of the buttons?
And how do I move the Archive further down the sidebar?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:38 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Now you either have to choose a menu template that looks good to you or change the look with CSS.

Alternatively if you like the menu like on this site you could use the CSS Dropdown Menu plugin. Or the Shailan Dropdown Menu Widget which gives you several menu themes to choose from.

Last edited by lmilesw; Jun 10, 2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added info
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:39 PM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
In IE it looks really bad. Some of the buttons are on the same line and some of them doesn't show. What's wrong?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:43 PM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
I know very little CSS. In which file do I edit the code to change colours, with etc.? And what makes some of the buttons go on the same line in IE (they don't do this in Firefox)?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:47 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Different browsers sometimes handle CSS differently. See the addition to my previous reply as I added links to some other menu plugins.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:26 PM
marklanders

1 posts · Jun 2010
great advice guys, i was looking for this