Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Atahualpa 101 - Please Help!!

Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:11 PM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Atahualpa 101 - Please Help!!

I am new to Wordpress and have managed to figure out how to upload this theme, but am now lost! I am simply trying to get my new blog set up and usable. (www.lovepalmspringshomes.com)

Do I use all the buttons on the atahualpa dashboard instead of the wordpress dashboard to build my site? Do I need to upload content to the Godaddy server (my hosting) or can I just build the pages on the site? For example, I want to add a backround photo for the Home page. And I want to put contact info in the sidebar. (Will move the current photo from the center of the HP.)

I also want to add different gadgets like Contact Form 7 and Twitter, some to the side bars and others (like embedding my YouTube channel) on the Home Page. I see them in the Installed section of WP but they do not appear on any pages...? (this is also an example of being confused about the above: whether to use the WP Dashboard or the Atahualpa Dashboard).

I am thinking that I must be over-complicating this and that it can't be that difficult, but so far I am overwhelmed. Any simple 1-2-3 tutorial out there? Would WP for Dummies help?

Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:08 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
When you login to your admin area, that's the Wordpress dashboard. On the left, under Appearance, you'll see Atahualpa Theme Options. That's where you change many things that are controlled by Atahaulpa itself, like the color and size of fonts, whether you want 1 or 2 sidebars, what to put in the header, etc. Just take some time to look through all the tabs and see what's possible. Most of us chose Atahualpa from thousands of themes because it's so user-friendly and customizable straight from the theme options.

Use the widgets in the left or right sidebar for many things, like keep a list of recent posts, putting in text like your contact info. However, I'd suggest creating a new Page for your contact stuff. Call it Contact Us or something like that.

In the dashboard, click on the faint little down arrows in the left panel to open up those areas.

A Post is what will show up in the center column. You can create categories for the posts to be in.

A Page is something that will be more static, not changing often. Those show up at the top.

Go to wordpress.org and read the WP lessons. Very helpful.

Good luck.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Thank you. I knew where to find the Atahualpa Theme Options which is why I was trying to distinguish when to use that vs. WP Dashboard. Still not sure. Please also advise whether it's necessary for me to upload content to servers (using Filezilla) like I did when uploading Theme. Thanks again.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
When you login to your admin area, that's the Wordpress dashboard. On the left, under Appearance, you'll see Atahualpa Theme Options. That's where you change many things that are controlled by Atahaulpa itself, like the color and size of fonts, whether you want 1 or 2 sidebars, what to put in the header, etc. Just take some time to look through all the tabs and see what's possible. Most of us chose Atahualpa from thousands of themes because it's so user-friendly and customizable straight from the theme options.

Use the widgets in the left or right sidebar for many things, like keep a list of recent posts, putting in text like your contact info. However, I'd suggest creating a new Page for your contact stuff. Call it Contact Us or something like that.

In the dashboard, click on the faint little down arrows in the left panel to open up those areas.

A Post is what will show up in the center column. You can create categories for the posts to be in.

A Page is something that will be more static, not changing often. Those show up at the top.

Go to wordpress.org and read the WP lessons. Very helpful.

Good luck.
Just a little more clarification. Paulae. The widgets is a perfect example of not knowing which widget link/dashboard to use: the atahualpa or WP dashboard..?? Also, re: uploading, is it necessary for me to upload a pic to the server to change the header? Thx.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:04 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
For your header images, you should upload them via FTP. Look in the Header Image area of the theme options for instructions.

Widgets are done in the WP dashboard.

Images that you plan to use in posts should be uploaded via the Media Library/ Add New function.

I know it can be confusing whether to use dashboard or the theme options for various tasks, and indeed, they work together. All I can advise is to take your time, experiment, and read a lot in this forum.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:49 PM
Joan Bandy

1 posts · May 2009
I have uploaded my header to the correct spot by FTP, and I've checked the width to be sure it's set to receive it. It's showing blank. I have only one header installed and deleted the others in the set to keep them from rotating. Any thoughts as to why it's showing white (blank) instead of my uploaded image?

Do I have to code the header into another area to get it to recognize that it's uploaded on my server?
Old May 19, 2009, 05:26 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
You put your image into themes/atahualpa/images/header/? Are you sure it's named properly? It has to be example.jpg or example_blue.jpg, not example blue.jpg. No spaces. Sometimes folks coming from a Mac background don't realize that servers don't like spaces in file names.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:46 AM
Accessibleplayground

6 posts · Sep 2009
Is there a Atahualpa 101, a tutorial, a webinar, anything that takes you through how to use the theme for people who are very, very new to using this type of format?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:11 PM
happymonday82

9 posts · Oct 2009
Hey there,

to be honest, there are soo many functions and settings that it would take a long time to create a 101.

I'm a kinda newbie too.

I've been putting my site together for the last few months and have learnt loads.

I'm quite happy to help you out in laymans terms if you need, if I can help in any way.

Oh yeah, if you wanna check out what i'm doing.

www.snowboredintructors.com
Old Nov 2, 2009, 06:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
How much would you be willing to pay for one? I've thought about doing this, but it will take some serious time to put something together - would you be willing to fund the developent of an Atahualpa 101?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:12 AM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
How much would you be willing to pay for one? I've thought about doing this, but it will take some serious time to put something together - would you be willing to fund the developent of an Atahualpa 101?
x2.

If the demand is there, with Flynn's permission, I may work on a basics guide with video tutorials.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:32 AM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
Atahulpa video tutorial (free on Youtube in HD) and Wordpress Quick Start guide done (requires email registration). See http://wordpressacademy.biz. Enjoy.