Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

[SOLVED] How to show single post special category on static home page??

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:52 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
[SOLVED] How to show single post special category on static home page??

I've set up the home/landing page as a static page. Most of what will show on that "Home" will be static "Welcome to our website....etc".

But, in the middle of the page I want to have a "News from the Shop" announcement (might even be in a framed "box").

I thought the "Inline Post" plugin would be the solution, but in order to update what post would show on the page, I would have to go to the Dashboard, edit the page's html, changing the post number contained between the double square brackets "[[post##]]"

That's clunky. I want to be able to publish the "news annoucement" as a post, using a special category. The most recent post in that category will show up in the "News" box on the home page.

I found this code:

<?php
query_posts('showposts=1&cat=3');
while(have_posts()) : the_post();
?>
<ul>
<li><h3><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>

<ul><li><?php the_content_limit(520); ?></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<?php endwhile; ?>
by Mr. Balkhis at http://www.balkhis.com/web-designs-r...-in-wordpress/.

In the line -- query_posts('showposts=1&cat=3');, the showposts= value sets how many posts will be displayed and cat= value specs which single category the displayed post(s) come from.

This sounds like it will work, but I can't figure out where to put it.