Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » RSS, Feeds & Subscribing »

RSS Email Subscribe Option

Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:11 AM
BabyLuvs2Travel

3 posts · Mar 2012
Hello,

If there is one area of my site that I do not understand it's the RSS Feed.

I'm currently using the BFA Subscribe widget in my right hand tool bar. When I click on the RSS icon it takes me to my feed, but what I'm wanting to know is whether or not its possible to have an email subscribe option on my feed page (as opposed to the blog). Or is this not a feature of wordpress? I also have the 'feedburner form' plugin on my site, though currently it's not an active widget, so I'm aware that this is another possible way to arrange email subscribe.

My url: http://www.babylovestotravel.com
I'm currently running Atahualpa 3.4.9

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 06:08 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
That doesn't look like the bfa subscribe widget. Did you hack the code to add the Twitter and Facebook icons and change the RSS icon?

That said I have never seen an email subscribe on an RSS subscribe page. I just give people the choice of subscribing via email AND/OR RSS feed using an address field or perhaps an envelope icon that takes them to the Feedburner subscribe page.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:33 AM
BabyLuvs2Travel

3 posts · Mar 2012
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Yes I did hack the code to get the FB and Twitter icons, but I still use the BFA subscribe widget. That said I think i've just realised what the problem is, my rss icon is linking to this: http://www.babylovestotravel.com/?feed=rss2, which I think is my original RSS feed, when in fact I need it to link to this: http://feeds.feedburner.com/BabyLovestoTravel. Hmmm, I'm not sure how I go about fixing this. I've had my new feedburner ID in since the word dot, but obviously it's not drawing to the correct RSS feed. The feedburner rss feed has all the subscription options that I want to use.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:07 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I don't know that any of the following will fix your issue but...
  • Do you have your Feedburner ID in the Feedburner ID for this site? box?
  • Do you have the Feedburner setting set to "Old"
  • Do you have the Feedsmith plugin installed?
Another option is to just use icons in a text widget which hyperlink as desired. This is what I would do given you aren't using the bfa subscribe widget in it's native state anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:51 AM
BabyLuvs2Travel

3 posts · Mar 2012
Thank you Larry! In answer to your questions, I have the correct i.d entered, I have it marked to new and I also have the Feedsmith Extend plugin.

And yes, it makes perfect sense to run it from a text widget, which is exactly what I have done. Thank you for suggesting this, I don't know why I haven't already done this, it's 100% easier to manage. Once again than you for your help!