Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

"Save Changes" results in Reset

Old Nov 7, 2009, 03:23 PM
reflynn

9 posts · Nov 2009
Exclamation "Save Changes" results in Reset

I am using WP 2.8.3, Atahualpa 3.4.4, PHP 5.2.4.

When I first set up the blog I was able to go into the the Atahualpa Theme Options and change things like background and font color. One time I went to tweak a font color on the Body, Text & Links page and when I clicked the big Save Changes button the page reloaded and it said "Atahualpa settings reset." at the top. All of my styling changes in that section were lost. I have since tried making on other pages and the same thing happens. I notice that the URL always comes back with "reset=true" in it. Can somebody explain why this is happening?

I think my sysadmin was making configuration changes on the server around the time this happened. Could it be a permission issue? I've looked at the PHP and HTML code and I can't figure out how clicking the Save Changes button is triggering a reset.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bob
Old Nov 7, 2009, 07:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
wow this is a strange one and the first I've heard of it. Can you swap to the default theme and make changes with it? Do they stick.
Have you added any new plugins in?
Try deactivating tall the plugins and see if it works.
What was the sysadmin doing?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 07:49 PM
reflynn

9 posts · Nov 2009
Yes, I swapped to the default theme and changed the color of the header text. It stuck. I've tried other themes and they are working. Perhaps they save their style changes differently. I don't know.

I don't have any active plugins.

I believe the sysadmin was moving the server behind a firewall. I'm not certain. I will check.

Are the styles for Atahualpa written to a db or are they saved in a file. Could file permissions be an issue? I'm sure I'd get some error if it was not writing to file, but that doesn't explain how I end up with the Save Changes button giving me a reset. It's damned annoying. Now anything I try to tweak in Atahualpa loses anything I was previously able to change. It's slowly stripping it back to defaults. Maybe I should just restore all defaults and start over. Still, I can't see how that explains this. I don't know what the code is doing when you hit the save button. I didn't want to start digging before asking.

Bob
Old Nov 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
reflynn

9 posts · Nov 2009
I just checked my correspondence with the sysadmin. It looks like they were moving from a physical to a virtual server. I'm not sure what that meant from a configuration standpoint, but I believe there was also a firewall change. I'm confirming.

Bob
Old Nov 7, 2009, 07:59 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
First thing to do is a backup of your wordpress database. You shoud also check with the sysadmin to see if they make backups, you might be able to fine ne with everything before you ran into this image.

All the settings are saved as rows in the wordpress database - in the wp-options table.

Pressing the big Green Save, should write that page of options to the database. You could also remove the theme from teh themes folder, get a fresh copy and reupload it. That would make sure it wasn't some kind of corruption of the code.

I'd also do an analyse and repair of the database
Old Nov 7, 2009, 08:04 PM
reflynn

9 posts · Nov 2009
I think it's too late for a back-up of the db. I've been banging my head against this for weeks, but I will check. Good to know where it's being saved.

I deleted 3.4.1 last night and installed 3.4.4 but the problem persists.

I'll suggest the analyze/repair of the db, but I'm not sure how that would prompt the reset=true in the URL.

This one just defies logic for me.

Bob
Old Nov 7, 2009, 08:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Can you create a new database (I don't know how easy this for you) and do a fresh WP and Atahualpa install and see if the problem is there also. that would tell if it was something on a grand scale.

If the new install works, you could go in and change the 'bad' wordpress's wp-config.php to point at the new database and see if the same issue occurs. If it fails, then it's something to do with the code of file permissions, if it works, then it's probably the DB