Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Creating custom post template

Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:37 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Flynn, you told me how to create a custom post and page template. I did make a custom PAGE template, and it worked fine. But it didn't work for the POST template. I did as you said, exactly, but the new template does not show up in the drop-down template box in the new/edit POST area. It does show up in the drop-down template box to the right of the PAGE editing area, but that isn't helpful when doing a POST.

I put this at the top of the new template:
Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name: My Garden Template
*/
?>
And I named it my-garden-template.php and uploaded it to the theme directory. I used the index.php as the base.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by paulae; Mar 14, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: thought of other info
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
AFAIK posts cannot have Page Templates, page templates are for "Page" pages only.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I found out how to do it.

I copied index.php and customized as needed, then at the top, I put:
Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name Posts: My Garden Template
*/
?>
The word "Posts" is required. I also installed the custom-post template plugin, which creates a drop-down menu of custom templates, below the post editing box. This all works really well.

And I named the file my-garden-template.php.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:36 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Good to know. Thanks for posting your solution