Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Best image size and code for image in sidebars.

Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:41 AM
wheresnifty

22 posts · Feb 2010
I plan on creating a few images to put into the sidebars and widget areas, but i am looking for what a good size may be for the sidebars.

i can find out the width, but i would like it long enough that it will go all the way down through the posts.

Also, what is the code and where do i add it to put it in the sidebar and widget areas?

---------
also, if i add an image to the sidebar thats maybe, 2000 pixels high, will it show all 2000 pixels, or just until the main post on the page is reached?

My sidebars flow with the post and i want it to show parts of the image as the posts keep going.... (the image that i plan on creating is a bunch of random brushes in different areas, so it does not really paint a big skinny picture if that is what you are thinking)

Last edited by wheresnifty; Feb 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Siedbars and the center area go together. They are the height of the bigger of the two areas. They will be the height of the center area, if the center area takes up more space than the items in the sidebar, or they will be the height of all items in the sidebar.

Both the center area and sidebars are variable. Lets say you put the 'Pages' widget in your side bar. If you only have 1 page, it will take up 1 line, but if you add 30 pages to your site, it will take up 30 lines so now it will be 30 times taller than before.

Now lets look at the center area. If you have 1 post, it will take up the space of that post, but say you display up to 10 posts on the page, the center area will be as high as it takes to display all 10 posts

and you expected a simple answer (grin)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:53 AM
wheresnifty

22 posts · Feb 2010
lol... thats what i thougt.

lets say, i have a page with only 1 post.

This is not my image but an idea.... an image of random bubbles that fill up the size of the widget bars.

not on my page with 1 post, the bubbles will fill up enough to cover the sidebars.

-------------------------------
if i move to my blog post that has 10 posts, the page is longer... i want the image of the bubbles to show up all the way down to fill up to where the 10 posts go.

I havent fooled with it yet, but when i get time i will create my image to try it.

Is it possible? if i add the image, will the sidebar cut off the image where the post ends? That is what i want.....

or will the image go all the way down and i have a really long image on the sidebar with a lot of white space in the middle?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what you are talking about is a background gif that repeats. you can repeat an image in the X or Y direction or both, it won't be random unless you make it a very large image, but why bother, just make a small image that looks ok repeated and us it.

Most of the backgrounds you see on pages are small gif's that repeated

for the syntax to add to 'ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->LEFT sidebar style' do a google search on 'css background' and look at the pages from www.w3schools.com for a good guide
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:09 AM
wheresnifty

22 posts · Feb 2010
thats what i was looking for.. hmm, i may have to try that. thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:28 PM
wheresnifty

22 posts · Feb 2010
well! i finally got a pretty good image up!!!!

http://www.unitingthenations.com thanks for the help.... never realized css was so helpful!