Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Problem with page menu when headline removed from page/post layout

Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:13 PM
GrahamW

101 posts · Jul 2010
[SOLVED] Problem with page menu when headline removed from page/post layout

I've removed the kicker, headline and byline from the page layout with "display:none".

The intention is to have images at the top of the body so that they abut against the %bar2 which is beneath the %page-center menu.

Initially this showed a white space between the bar and the image. On Larry's advice elsewhere, I addressed this by adding this CSS insert...

#middle .page { margin-top: -28px; }

On pages where there's a static image this is fine.

However, the home page has a slideshow, and on this one the space to the left of the page menu is somehow being compromised. I've taken a picture to try to illustrate what I mean

Have you any idea why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it?

Many thanks
Graham
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:27 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Code:
applies to .page only. If your home page is not using that page template (not likely) than it wont use that CSS.

If you want it to, then you have to apply it to the page template your home page is using also.

- my guess.

URL + code inspector would sort it.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
this actually will apply the top margin to any element that has a class of 'page' that is a subelement of an element with the ID of middle, so it doesn't mater what the <body> has on it.

this will apply when you are on any 'page' page since the div for the page has a class of 'page'

(note: if you look at the source you will see that the div will also show a 'post-nn' and an ID of 'post-nn' - remember a page is just a special post which is why it aslo gets the class of 'page'...ok that was probably more that most of you wanted to know. )

what is the url?

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 25, 2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:02 AM
GrahamW

101 posts · Jul 2010
Hello Juggledad and Jam

Thanks for the input so far.

The URL is http://www.catalystsatwork.com

I have a feeling that this is a problem associated with the interplay between the theme and the platform. I'm using Vista on my laptop and it makes this odd little "hole" beside the menu, but I just looked at it on an Android tablet and the images overlay the bottom half of the menu across the whole width.

Cheers
Graham
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the 'margin-top: -28px' is causing the slide show image to overlap the menu. My guess is that it is overlaying a background, but not areas that have elements in it..

try using 'margin-top: -17px'

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 25, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:21 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I think in my original post I mentioned that the code would only work if all the pages had an image. To fix this issue you could add the following to compensate for the slideshow.
HTML Code:
body.home .slideshow {
    margin-top: 12px;
}
You would leave the other at -28px