Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Link to Comments archive on bottom of page broken as of 3.4.3

Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:30 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Atahualpa provides two links for older comments. The one on the top works well, the more useful one at the bottom of the page (if sorting newer comments on top) is not working but linking wrongly. If I deactivate Atahualpa it is working again.

See example here: http://openmtbmap.org/download/
On top link is correct to: http://openmtbmap.org/download/comme...e-18/#comments
On the bottom link is broken and goes to: http://openmtbmap.org/comment-page-18/#comments

If I switch back to 3.4.2 it is working alllright. It is broken in 3.4.6

(actually I'm really getting fed up with Atahualpa 3.4.3 and above. 3.4.2 was the last version that worked out of the box more or less. Since then it's patching bugs bugs and bugs. 3.4.3 was the last real update anyhow since then it more or less seems that Atahualpa is not developped anymore. Since more than 8 month, there has been no real work done on Atahualpa, nor bugs removed like the crazy Atahualpa Page Options that cause havoc if not switched of and much more. Even little bugs for which fixes were posted on the forum, got carried forward to updates, simple things like putting images in a relative folder still not default causing loads of work on each update,..... I'm seriously considering switching the theme for Wordpress 3 as Atahualpa is causing too much trouble and it does not seem like there is any work done keep Atahualpa one of the best plugins like it was before, or maybe offering Atahualpa as SVN so one can easily carry forward fixes from version to version...).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What's your permalink structure set to?
the issue is the top link is showing the full path, but the bottom link is dropping the 'download' in the address.

have you tried with all plugins disabled?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:58 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Permalink structure is /%category%/%postname%/

I have tried with all plugins disabled. Still broken. It is definitely a bug in Atahualpa 3.4.3+ as it is still working if I downgrade to Atahualpa 3.4.2 but broken in 3.4.4 or 3.4.6.

Actually I discovered that in the comments section here someone else if having the same problem: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6568

The only major modification to Atahualpa I have done is disabling the Atahualpa Page Options, as they are incompatible with qtranslate and many many other plugins.

This is defnitely not a permalink issue, but an Atahualpa bug (no problem using other themes, no problem on 3.4.2) - maybe related to disabling the page options that seems to cause some problems.

The cleanest solution would probably be to backport changes from 3.4.4 to 3.4.6 as since 3.4.3 Atahualpa has become unstable and buggy.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
While I can see that there is a problem on your site, I can not recreate it on a vanilla install of 3.4.6, which leads me to think that something else is happening. It may well be related to the removal of the ato post otions and or qtranslate.

Do you remember the post that showed you how to remove the ato post options?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:51 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Yes, it was this post here: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showpos...17&postcount=3

However of course I now only remove the section itself, unlike at the time of writing to the end of the document...

I have attached my functions.php (based on 3.4.6) on this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip functions.zip (5.2 KB, 1544 views)
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I just noticed this is a PAGE not a POST - I've been looking at POST comments. Let me check out PAGE comments
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Nope, can't cause it to happen. Have you tried disabling qtranslate?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:44 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
I have disabled ALL plugins, and it still happens. Did you already apply (your) patch to the wordpress comments functions (reply not working), besides using the changed functions.php?

Edit: Well and I'm really sure it is not due to any of theese changes but purely something inside the Atahualpa configuration (I'm using the more or less same config since 3.3) or inside Atahualpa, as downgrading to Atahualpa 3.4.2 solves the problem.

I'm not sure how many people actually are using Atahualpa >=3.4.3 and have pages with split up comments - However for me it is indispensable, as on the /download page I have nearly 1000 comments.

Last edited by extremecarver; Apr 19, 2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
yes I have applied both and the patch to the wordpress code. The only way I'd be able to figure this out is to go into your site and monkey with the code or to copy your site and install it locally since I can't recreate it.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:03 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Okay, I just noticed. If I disable permalinks, the problem does not happen. Could you try to set permalinks to: /%category%/%postname%/ and see if you get the problem then too?

Otherwise I could send/upload for you the mysql database file (600kB) so you have the same settings, or give you access to a testinstall (including access to phpmyadmin).

Edit: I just reset all Atahualpa Options in my testinstall. After reenabling the "allow comments on page pages", it directly had the buggy problem of linking wrongly on the bottom. So on my plain install (wordpress 2.9.2, Atahualpa 3.4.6, permalinks enabled) it directly goes all wrong again. So it has nothing to do with the options that I have set in Atahualpa itself.

Edit2: it also happens on a clean Atahualpa 3.4.6 without any modifications.

Edit3: Just forgot to say, I made NO modifications to WP 2.9.2 at all, not even the "reply", fix no plugins.
Therefore for me the steps to redo it are: import my wordpress database, plain 2.9.2. plain atahualpa 3.4.6 and permalinks set to something. Actually on my testinstall - which is installed to a subdirectory of the domain, the links go back to the normal install outside of the subdirectory. It only happens on Pages, Posts are fine. This is definitely an Atahualpa bug - all other themes behave fine.

Last edited by extremecarver; Apr 19, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
just curious, what do you have set at dashboard->settings->general-> Wordpress address and Blog Address?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:59 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Only wordpress adress - however the blog address is shown the same. If I set it empty, after saving, it reappears. I am 99% sure however - that there is no blog address set inside wp_option table (because I deleted it). Can recheck if after below results you deem it necessary.

On a test I just set them to be different (include www.). This has no effect at all onto the bottom of replies link (which links to non www - whereas all other links go to www.)
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:45 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Okay, just checked it out on another server. There the link to older comments also works with permalinks enabled.
Still I do think this is a bug, as it would work with 3.4.2 on both servers, and the top links is just fine, so it is strange to have the bottom link working wrong. My guess is that there is some error in the code, that is usually not detected but happening on some configs (one can't really blame it on the config, as the top one works just fine, as did older versions).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:28 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Do the different servers have different versions of php?

(was looking at this earlier when a thunderstorm rolled thru and we lost electricity. I took it as a sign to go cook dinner for the wife.)
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:05 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Yes the not working one is on 5.3.2 and has PHP fsockopen() disabled if that is of any importance (I sent you all passwords/usernames of a testinstall by PM, didn't you notice this time...), the working is on 5.3.1.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've noticed in your testinstall, there are only 8 of the 11 wordpress tables??? but you are running 2.9.2, did you miss an upgrade??
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, I found the root cause and have a solution, but it invloved removing a feature added in 3.4.3

The Cause: the problem is that there is a slight difference between posts and pages. Pages are special posts, but not all the wordpress code seems to work when dealing with a page vrs a post. Having Comment on PAGES is one of the areas that causes strange issues.

In 3.4.3 a new feature was added to allow you to mark a comment as spam or delete it from the front end (if you are at least an editor). Once this code is run, calling the underlining wordpress routines, the base url for the Page becomes invalid (remember it's not a post and wordpress thinks comments belong to posts) and then the links after the comments are messed up. This shows up when you use permalinks, because wordpress tests for teh permalinks and uses the messed up url.

SOLUTION: remove the code that allows you to 'spam' or 'delete' comments
edit bfa_custom_comments.php and find line 25 (in version 3.4.6) which should be
HTML Code:
		<?php edit_comment_link($bfa_ata['comment_edit_link_text'],'<span class="comment-edit-link">','</span>') ?> <?php delete_comment_link(get_comment_ID()); ?>
and change it to
HTML Code:
		<?php edit_comment_link($bfa_ata['comment_edit_link_text'],'<span class="comment-edit-link">','</span>') ?> 
(added to 3.4.7 TO DO)

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:30 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Thanks. Works well.