Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Atahualpa - Widget Right Sidebar mistery

Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:23 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Hi everybody,
I'm new in this forum, I'm a new wordpress's user

I write here because I habe a little problem with my layout.
I would use Atahualpa 3.3.2 theme. So I install and I haven't problem about.
I'm using WP 2.7 in Italian language.

Now I would add a widget in the right sidebar. This is for me impossible!

I chose Right Sidebar and I click show. It's gone.
Now I would add my widget, so I chose the widget and I click add.

What happen?
When I click add, the Right Sidebar become Left Sidebar and the widget is now in the Left Sidebar.

I have tried different widget but I haven't another template with three columns to try.

Can anyone help me?

Thankyou very much.
Have a great day.
Davide
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:45 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Hi, Davide.

In Atahaulpa Theme Options/Sidebars, make sure you have both sidebars activated, in the Left and Right Sidebar Display On: areas.

Maybe you have it set to show only the left sidebar?

Let us know if that was not the problem. Also, when you are adding a widget, you have to click on Done and then Save changes too.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:18 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Paula,

Thankyou very much for your help.
I have setup nothin in sidebar menu so I'm using de default setting.
In default setting both sidebar are showed.
You cas see here www.davideusai.eu.
The right side bar is there and wait only to have some content to show!

I don't know this platform very good but I use logic. I try with you.
If the right side bar was not enable I am not able to view it in the list of possible side bar when I add a widget.
Insted I can chose the right sidebar without problem, I do show and now the page refresh. It show me the widget in the right sidebar now. There are nothing widget.
I add one widget.
The page refresh, the widget is now in sidebar but not right. It is in left side.
I have many problem to understand this reacation.
The page write now: There are one widget in left sidebar. But I have selected the right sidebar.

I go to try again!
Have a great day.
Davide
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Davide,
To add a widget on the right side, from the dashboard
1) select Appearance
2) select widgets
3) on the Widgets page, on the right side under the words 'Current Widgets', select 'Right Sidepar' then press the 'show' button
4) select a widget and press 'Add'
5) on the right side of the screen - under where the widget should now show - press the 'Save Changes' button

Now go look at your website and see if the widget is showing up
Paul
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:02 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Paul,

I have problem between 4 and 5.
I press "Add" and the widget is added but in left sidebar.
The page write that it's showing the left sidebar too.

I find it curious! And you?

I hope to look my website with my widget in the right sidebar

Davide
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:50 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Paul,

Now I have setup to not show right sidebar. I have to resolve this problem and then I show it again.
It isn' nice to read the WP's instruction in the homepage

Davide
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:31 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
It's hard for us to know what's going on from this distance, of course.

I would be happy to look at your admin area if you like. You can send me a private message with the login info.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
webdevelopment

2 posts · May 2009
i have 0 widgets added but i still get sidebars... why? this makes no sense at all...
Old May 8, 2009, 08:18 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdevelopment
i have 0 widgets added but i still get sidebars... why? this makes no sense at all...
I answered this in your other post. Actually the way Atahualpa is now (with default hard coded widgets) is the standard way, most themes are like this.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:22 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Paul,
have you read my privat message?
Take care.
Davide
Old May 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
Marge

10 posts · May 2009
I am having exactly the same problem.

My settings:
I have the left side bar deactivated or selected to not show up at all.
When I try to add widgets to the right side bar, both the left and right show up as options. ( might be a clue here that there are more palces I have to go to deactivate the left sb.)
Adding widgets: when I select the right sidebar, select a widget to add, the selection drop down reverts to the left sidebar. For the life of me, I can't work out what the setting are to get this to work.

Also, when I deselected the left side bar, refreshed the page and the whole screen has moved to the left when it was centred before.

Any ideas on this would be great.

Thanks.

Marge
Old May 12, 2009, 10:26 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Hi, Davide, I did reply to your private message. Try again.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:38 AM
Marge

10 posts · May 2009
Paulae

If you found a solution, can you share it here too ? If not shall I pm you?

Thanks.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:20 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Hi, Marge. No, no solution, since I haven't seen the problem behind the scenes. I had offered to login to Davide's site if he wants, to check the admin for any obvious problems. I'm pretty experienced now using WP and Atahualpa, but by no means an expert in PHP coding. PM me if you'd like me to try looking at your site too.
Old May 13, 2009, 03:08 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Hallo everybody,
So I find another person with my same problem.
Naturally, if we find a solution we share it.
Now Paula I will write you.
Take care.
Davide
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:39 AM
skyline

16 posts · May 2009
Beaverton, OR
David ...

I understand the issue you are experiencing. (The solution that worked for me can be found at the bottom of this post) I was in the process of creating my own theme, when I discovered Atahualpa version 3; and I downloaded it. Then I saw version 3.3.3 and downloaded it because it looked like it had some bug fixes and the potential to save me countless hours. Clearly, a lot of time has gone into development of this theme. When I started setting up the theme, I opted for both left and right sidebars. Then decided for the site I planned on trying it out on I only wanted the right sidebar. I setup everything before adding any widgets. This is when I discovered a problem with adding widgets to the right sidebar. So, I went ahead and set up the left sidebar to be active on all pages, to see if that would make any difference.

To clarify for other readers, what is happening is that you can click Show Right Sidebar and all is fine at that point. However, when you click the Add link for most any widget what will happen is that widget does get added after a minute or two delay; however, it automatically defaults to installing it on the Left Sidebar. Plus, after this occurs, it is not necessary to Save the changes for the widgets to remain on the Left Sidebar. However, in order to remove them from the Left Sidebar, you must click Remove and Save Changes one at a time. In other words, you cannot remove two widgets and then click Save Changes. This is a bit odd.

What I have discovered is that there are three widgets that can be added to the right sidebar. They are the RSS, categories and text widgets. None of the others can be added. What I also noticed is the similarity when you hover over those three "Add" links, the URL is different than the URL for all the other widget links. Here are examples:

The widgets that can be added to the right sidebar look something like this:
htt p://w ww.example.com/wp-admin/widgets.php?show&sidebar=sidebar-2&message=updated&key=3&base=rss&add=rss-3&_wpnonce=12345abcde (note: I had to separate the url a bit, because it kept getting truncated; which defeated the purpose of trying to distinguish the two different URLs.)

The widgets that cannot be added to the right sidebar, look something like this:
http://www.example.com/wp-admin/widgets.php?show&message=updated&add=pages&_wpnonc e=12345abcde

I tried deactivating several plugins to see if that made any difference. I double checked my entries on the different sections, looking for something obvious. But, found no red flags. I Googled the phrase "unable to add widgets to right sidebar" and discovered someone else who was having the same issue with another theme called "Tarski" ... which I have not downloaded or reviewed. I also read about the same occurrence with a theme called "Essence Theme Series."

I had read on another forum that someone claimed to have fixed their problem by converting the widget files to TEXT files; due to some type of database related issue. I converted the php files for one of the widgets to TEXT files to see I could get the same result. However, this did not seem to make any difference.

Additional information that may be helpful to others is that I am running mySQL 5.2.5 and PHP 5+, along with the latest version of Firefox and IE8. My preference for developing is on Firefox. However, I decided to logout out of Firefox and see if I could re-create this issue on IE. Guess what. With IE8 I was able to add the widgets to the Right Sidebar, something that I was unable to do with Firefox 3.0.10. Believe it or not!!!!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 05:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm running on a mac and using either Safari or Firefox, I have no problem adding widgets to the right sidebar. I would suspect this is a problem with a combination of the level of WordPress and/or PHP and memory.

If you are having this problem, could you install the wp-security-scan plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/) and paste the info from the 'system Information Scan' to help identify this WordPress issue

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 1, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: removed poorly worded first line
Old Jun 1, 2009, 01:24 PM
skyline

16 posts · May 2009
Beaverton, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Just to counter this last post a bit. I'm running on a mac and using either Safari or Firefox, I have no problem adding widgets to the right sidebar. I would suspect this is a problem with a combination of the level of WordPress and/or PHP and memory.

If you are having this problem, could you install the wp-security-scan plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/) and paste the info from the 'system Information Scan' to help identify this WordPress issue
Because you are not experiencing the issue does not make it an invalid issue. It is understandable why you did not find value in my post. My post was targeted for those who have been experiencing the issue; because they are the ones who might benefit. What I find interesting on forums is that there are people who, because they are not experiencing an issue, feel that those who are experiencing it should be dismissed as incompetent, or addressed with a condescending tone. Of course, I also see that you are a mac user. There is another distinction to be made. I am designing and developing on the Windows platform, using XP. IE is not my browser of choice; FF is. I also have Safari and Chrome installed; yet I do not make it a habit to jump from one browser to the other when logging into admin panels. None of this changes the fact that the sidebar issue was non-existent in IE8, yet was existent and still remains existent with FF 3.0.10. To this I can add that I have experienced issues attempting to use FF on the PayPal developer site, as well. Go figure.

FWIW, I have run the WP Security Scan and found no issues. To validate the issue, I will go ahead and post my scan results:

# Operating System : Linux
# Server : Apache/1.3.41 Ben-SSL/1.60 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 mod_throttle/3.1.2 Chili!Soft-ASP/3.6.2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_perl/1.30 PHP/4.4.9
# Memory usage : 18.61 MByte
# MYSQL Version : 5.0.51a-9
# SQL Mode : Not set
# PHP Version : 5.2.9
# PHP Safe Mode : On
# PHP Allow URL fopen : On
# PHP Memory Limit : 128M
# PHP Max Upload Size : 35M
# PHP Max Post Size : 50M
# PHP Max Script Execute Time : 900s
# PHP Exif support : Yes ( V1.4 )
# PHP IPTC support : Yes
# PHP XML support : Yes

Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Skyline,
Please accept my apology, I chose the wrong first line of my post and I've removed it.

I DO believe there is a problem. I worked in tech support for 30 years and I know (even if my developers would swear up and down there were no errors) that when a couple people reported the same issue, there was a bug. Heck, if one person can reproduce a error, something is wrong. I was just wanting to point out that not everyone has the problem so we need to gather more information to see if we can figure out what the common thread is and find a cause.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:22 PM
skyline

16 posts · May 2009
Beaverton, OR
Juggledad ...

Thanks for the follow up. This may be a browser related issue, which can only be reproduced on some platforms and not others; or it could be version specific; or a combination of both. The reason I am not believing it is a PHP issue is that PHP should work the same, regardless whether or not I am using IE, FF, Safari or Chrome. Also, I do not believe it is necessarily a WP version issue, because I am using version 2.7.1. I suppose it is possible that a FF setting that needs to be changed. I did not notice in prior posts if anyone actually identified which browser they were using. Also, I don't believe OS and version were identified either. All of these variables could factor in.

As an additional note, I have discovered that even with IE, when I add a widget to the right sidebar, I have to save the changes twice before I can edit it. Also, if I add a widget to the right side and then click on the edit link, the widget disappears from the list and you have to click on save changes, before you can attempt to add the widget to that sidebar again. These same quirks do not seem to be present on the left sidebar ... however, I have noticed it takes considerably longer to save changes to widgets added to the left sidebar. This sluggishness seems to be symptomatic of this theme though. As a sidenote, I would like to speed up the load time; however, for security reasons, I have been reluctant to activate and use WP Super-Cache because it requires PHP safe mode to be turned off ... although, in the future this will not be an option because I understand that in PHP 6 there will be no safe mode.

I don't know if any of this extra information can be helpful in trying to ID the core issue(s). However, more information is better than not enough information.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:17 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Hi, I’m inexperienced with code and I’m more inexperienced with PH. I worked just three years with Delphi and not more. Therefore I’m trying to do my blog with WP. I confirm I have following problem: I’m not able to add whatever widget on right sidebar. I have the same problem if I use IE8 and if I use FF3.

I write here the log of the plug-in.

Maybe these information can help you. Sorry for my English. I’m attending still course!

Have a great day!

Davide

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initial Scan
WordPress version: 2.7.1 You have the latest stable version of WordPress.
Your table prefix should not be wp_. Click here to change it.
Your WordPress version is successfully hidden.
WordPress DB Errors turned off.
WP ID META tag removed form WordPress core
"admin" user exists.
The file .htaccess does not exist in wp-admin/.
**WP Security Scan plugin must remain active for security features to remain**
Future Releases
• one-click change file/folder permissions
• test for XSS vulnerabilities
• intrusion detection/prevention
• lock out/log incorrect login attempts
• user enumeration protection
• WordPress admin protection/security

System Information Scan
• Operating System : Linux
• Server : Apache/2.2
• Memory usage : 13.87 MByte
• MYSQL Version : 5.0.68-log
• SQL Mode : Not set
• PHP Version : 4.4.9
• PHP Safe Mode : Off
• PHP Allow URL fopen : On
• PHP Memory Limit : 32M
• PHP Max Upload Size : 50M
• PHP Max Post Size : 22M
• PHP Max Script Execute Time : 120s
• PHP Exif support : Si ( V1.4 )
• PHP IPTC support : Si
• PHP XML support : Si
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:08 PM
skyline

16 posts · May 2009
Beaverton, OR
Davide ...

One thing I see in your scan is that you are not using PHP 5+. If I am not mistaken, I believe this theme needs PHP 5+ to function correctly. Do you have the option on your server to change the PHP version you are using?

Tom
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:54 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
Hi,

I don't know the differences between the versions.
If I show the information about my housing in my admin space there is the result:

PHP Version 5.2.9
System: Linux webxc04s01.ad.aruba.it 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5PAE #1 SMP Thu May 7 11:14:31 EDT 2009 i686

So there is one mismatch. This is interesting. Who are saying the right? Another mystery…
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:01 AM
skyline

16 posts · May 2009
Beaverton, OR
You can check to see which version and all your PHP info by creating a file. You can call it myinfo.php. Then upload it your domain. Then in your browser window type in: http://www.mydomain.com/myinfo.php ... Just change "mydomain.com" to your domain name.

Put the code below in your file ... and nothing else.

<?php echo phpinfo() ?>

That will tell you which version you have ... and a lot more.

Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:11 AM
davideusai

13 posts · Apr 2009
This is interesting.
You can see here the html page:
http://www.davideusai.eu/myinfo.php

So the PHP isn't 5. Why does my provider write 5 in his documentation?

Thankyou