Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Free Thesis theme lookalike, based on Atahualpa

Old Feb 8, 2010, 05:21 AM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
Ok I promised I would do this a while back, based on the fact that I love Atahualpa theme (both the control it provides and the price) but I much prefer the styling (fonts and colors) of an “out of the box” Thesis theme.

So here goes:

Click-through to the original article for more info:

I deliberately left the banner image since I find, quite frankly, that the need to write custom CSS to put a banner image in Thesis is dumb.

If you like it, please comment to the original post and I will publish the database so you can use it on your own site.

I could also use a little help as I am still learning CSS – if you want to perfect this, please comment and I will give you access to the demo site. Several items still incomplete:
  • Page navigation bar isn’t quite right
  • I would like to put a custom widget area on top right to emulate Thesis image changer
  • Widget box padding not quite right

For the rest though, I think it’s 80% there.

Thanks,
Marc

PS: Disclosure: outgoing affiliate link and incoming links wanted. Give me a break, Ok.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 01:38 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I would love to add the one column over two for the side bar and tweak the menu for you.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:30 AM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
Hey guys --

Larry (http://www.cnywebdesigns.net/) has done some VERY cool things with the Thesis look-a-like demo (http://warrior-coach.com/thesis/) which I wanted to share.

The goal was to create a custom widget area on the right top to emulate the Thesis rotating image, and then to put the two sidebars underneath.

What I learned is that you you can register a new widget area inside a widget area by using the Advanced Text (php code) widget!. This saves you modifying theme files. (Of course you can always register a new widget area in the usual places in Atahualpa as well -- Header area, Center column and Footer -- see Atahualpa Theme Option > Add New Widget area)

So in this case --

Add an Advanced Text widget to the right sidebar and code as follows:

PHP Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); ?>

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=sidebar_widget_area&cells=2&align=9&cellpadding=5&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="sidebar-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
And voila -- three new widget areas created to replace the (former) right sidebar.

Very cool, Larry.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:12 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
And I want to say thanks to Flynn for Atahualpa and this forum forum for the info on how to do this. I can't remember who the member was that originally came up with the idea of putting the extra widget code in a text widget that accepts php but it seems like he opened our eyes so to speak and then Juggledad helped with tweaks to the code. This is the power of everyone working together.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:39 AM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
Ok I have now finished with the menu bar and thanks to Larry we have a top right widget for rotating image, video or whatever!

Click here for instructions and the Atahualpa database extract.

If you like, please comment.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:54 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
aaaaah Larry,

All women should feel slighted.

Quote:
I can't remember who the member was that originally came up with the idea of putting the extra widget code in a text widget that accepts php but it seems like he opened our eyes
Twas a she and... She is me!

Rashell
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:02 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Sorry about that Rashell and thanks for the correction and again for the idea. The next time I am unsure as to the gender of an individual I will use something more generic rather than just assuming. But what do you expect from a man?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:32 AM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
Rashell, you are an effin' genius whatever your sex, and as Larry says you must forgive a lapse from the stupider sex

Marc
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:37 AM
Zed

23 posts · Sep 2009
this is amazing...just the thing i was looking for! hats off to you guys....and the best thing about this is that you can tweak it the way you want...for example instead of putting the code for all three widget areas inside 1 advance text widget, i put the code for rotating image widget inside 1 advance test and the code for 2 vertical widget areas inside other advance text and then positioned the two advance texts according to need and the results are just what i wanted to do but wasnot able to do due to lack of sufficient php knowledge!!!!!!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:38 AM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
I have made a few more tweaks to the code (adding the top "Subscribe" link in particular) so to make it easier for folks, posting the CSS insert here (apply to Atahualpa Theme Options > Add HTML/CSS Inserts at the bottom). There are other tweaks (refer to the original article and extract) but this should give the essence.

Juggledad informs me that he is very close to finishing an import/export utility for Atahualpa, that will allow development of child themes for Atahualpa -- a sorely needed function in this otherwise amazing theme that we all love.

You also need the "RSS" image: (right-click and save). You need to create a page called "subscribe" and redirect it to your RSS feed using the redirection plugin. None of the Atahualpa theme files need to be modified.

Here goes:

HTML Code:
h1, h2 {
	font-size:2.2em;
	line-height:1.364em;
	font-weight: normal;
}

div.widget ul li a:link,
div.widget ul li a:visited,
div.widget ul li a:active,
div.widget ul li a:hover {
	color: #2361A1;
	border-left: 0 !important;
	padding-left: 0 !important;
}

div.widget ul {
	list-style-type: none;
	color: #2361A1;
	border-left: 0 !important;
	padding-left: 0 !important;
}

div.widget ul li {
	display: list-item;
}

div.widget ul li a:hover {
	text-decoration: underline;
}

div.widget ul, div.textwidget {
	line-height: 1.2em;
}

#sidebar_widget_area_1 {
padding: 10px;
border-right:1px solid #ddd;
}

#sidebar_widget_area_2 {
border-left:1px solid #cccccc;
}

#advanced_text-5 {
background: #dddddd;
}

/*Page menu bar*/

div#menu1 ul.rMenu {
	margin: 15px 0;
	border: 0;
	letter-spacing: 2px;
	background-color: #ffffff;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a {
	border-width: 1px;
	padding: 8px;
}

/* active item = current page */
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_item a, ul.rMenu li.current_page_item a:active, div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_item a:visited {
	background-color: #ffffff;
	border-bottom-width: 0;  
}

/*Subscribe button -- replace "page-item-27" with whatever css class your site is generating */
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.page-item-27 {
	background:transparent url(images/icon-rss.gif) no-repeat scroll 100% 50%;
	background-color: white;
	float: right;
	padding-right:16px;
	border:0;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.page-item-27 a {
	border:0;
}

Last edited by everyman; Feb 15, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman
Hey guys --
What I learned is that you you can register a new widget area inside a widget area by using the Advanced Text (php code) widget!. This saves you modifying theme files. (Of course you can always register a new widget area in the usual places in Atahualpa as well -- Header area, Center column and Footer -- see Atahualpa Theme Option > Add New Widget area)
I THOUGHT I was 'getting' the idea here and tried it. But, I must be missing something as I did not get the result I expected. Hmmm.

I got the Advanced Text plugin. Placed it in the Right Sidebar. Placed the code as described in the text widget. And then..... nothing? Is there something else I need to do to make that work? I've created custom widget areas in other areas and that has all worked fine. so, I'm a little perplexed by this. But it seems like such a super cool idea I NEED to figure it out!!
Sharon
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:59 PM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
horsemansarts --

you may need to refresh a few times. I copied the code exactly from http://warrior-coach.com/thesis and you can see it working fine there..
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:13 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
I was going to say that I'd refreshed a bunch of times with no luck. It was true! What was also true is that I'd created some custom widget areas before and was having trouble deleting them. I found out that because I'd created the original custom widget areas in a previous version I needed to run the widgetfix program. That resolved THAT problem. And now lo and behold the new widget areas ARE now showing as I would expect. Yippee!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 03:09 PM
Ritergal

15 posts · May 2010
I tried importing the the code exactly from http://warrior-coach.com/thesis and did not get the expected sidebar results. My left inner sidebar content disappeared with my right sidebar taking over the entire alloted space. It did not divide as it does on the theme demo.

Then I went back to my original theme -- I'd share the link but later today I'm ripping it out to reinstall on a new domain. I added the Advanced Text widget in the right sidebar and pasted in the two lines of code. Then I added some text. The text shows, but the width is confined to the right sidebar space.

I don't see a way in the Atahualpa add widgets section to mess with the sidebar widgets. I'd really like to make this work.

Is there something best done on a new installation before adding content or the new theme?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:13 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Hi,
Has anyone tried this with ATA 3.6.7?

I had the Thesis "lookalike" running ok with 3.6.4, but when I updated to 3.6.7 I got an odd
Key1= and Key2= under the video and over the double column... Looking in Firebug it appears to be associated with the right column "top" added bfa widget area...

Here's the url to see
http://www.the-web-mechanic.com/test-site/themeplan01/

I wouldn't expect it to make any difference, but the "themeplan" sites are set up as a WordPress multisite... just so that you know...

Thanks!
Ken
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:36 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Have you applied all the 3.6.7 patches?
  • PATCH 367-01: Odd effects when 'CSS: Compress' = 'Yes'
  • PATCH 367-02 is incorporated in PATCH 367-04
  • PATCH 367-03: PHP errors when adding widget areas in index.php
  • PATCH 367-04: Hovering over a Post/Page title only shows "Permanent Link to"
  • PATCH 367-05: Site Title appended after the 'WordPress SEO by Yoast' title
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:45 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Yep.... Fully patched!

Ken
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:56 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
It seems like I saw a similar situation and the first thing I though of was my patches when awry which is why I mentioned them. I THINK I reapplied at least one of the patches to fix the issue but can't remember.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Hi Larry,
I thought that too... and tried reinstalling the fixes. It is something to do with Bugfix 3 and the change to the functions.php file.
I went back to the "original" functions.php file and got the following in place of the key1= & key2=

Warning: array_key_exists() [function.array-key-exists]: The second argument should be either an array or an object in /home7/thewebme/public_html/test-site/wp-content/themes/atahualpa367/functions.php on line 404

Warning: array_key_exists() [function.array-key-exists]: The second argument should be either an array or an object in /home7/thewebme/public_html/test-site/wp-content/themes/atahualpa367/functions.php on line 404

Obviously, somewhere therein lies the rub.

Ken
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you should contact everyman and ask him about it. Since his instructions are not available until you signup at his site, I am not will ing to take a look
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:07 PM
everyman

79 posts · Nov 2009
Philadelphia
Ken --

error above has nothing to do with extract file, it's an Atahualpa installation or config error. I would advise deactivating, deleting and reactivating

I don't know if the latest Atahualpa supports custom widget areas any more, perhaps Juggledad or Larry would advise.

thanks
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Hi Marc,
Thanks for the reply!

Coincidently, yesterday I came across a post from Juggledad that there was a change to the 3.6.7 Patch 3 (and for the life of me I can't find that post again :-(

I downloaded the current version took a look a look at the two - and the original patch 3 functions.php is dated 5/14/11 and the current version is dated 6/7/11.

I swapped to the "newer" version and problem gone!!

Juggledad, what was the change?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I can't remember - seriously, that was three months ago, looking at the change log in the thread, it looks like I just changed the explanation, but I seriously don't know.