Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How to turn link of pages in page menu on or off e.g. turn parent off & child on

Old Feb 6, 2010, 06:58 AM
Deansta22

3 posts · Feb 2010
Hi All,
I'm not sure of the correct terminology. But I have a page menu with main parents, and then have made child pages underneath by putting them in the parent category.
I would like to link to only the children, and not the parents.
Obviously I need the parent pages to show in the page menu, but I don't want to be able to link into them as there will be no text there, I just want to like to the children, or 'grand'-children pages.
I may even on occassion not want to link to the children, but link to the grandchildren

Basically my question is can one switch the ability to link to a page in the page menu on or off?

Thank you very much,
Dean
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:16 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
ATO->Page Menu Bar->Don't link first level parent items in Page Menu Bar?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:58 AM
Deansta22

3 posts · Feb 2010
Hi Juggledad,

Unfortunately that will not help, because I want to individually select which parent, child or grandchild pages which will act as links as which will not.
Obviously a parent page has to be created to create a 'text' in the page menu, and only if that page exists can you create a child page.
You see I don't want to include written content on each page, I just want it to appear as a category in the page menu so I can include child pages with content on under it.

The website is here: http://sa.livingnetwork.co.za/, and if I chose to unlink the parent items it would blanket unlink the whole lot. But some of them I have content for an some I don't.

I hope I am describing it clearly. I wish there was a box in each page with I could tick to link or unlink it. Is this at all a possibility? I would be happy to donate to help it happen, as I have little webskills.
Thanks,
Dean
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
There is nothing to allow this on a page by page basis - this is something you will need to do manually.

Here is how you could do it. Create all your pages with the dependencies as you want them. Then view the page and view the source of the page. You can now grab the HTML code that makes up your menu.

By editing this code, you could take out the parent links where you want them gone. Then you could remove the %pages from the Configure Header Area and add this code in it's place.

while it's not an easy thing, because if you add a page, you have to do it all over, but it is a way to do what you want.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:16 AM
Deansta22

3 posts · Feb 2010
Thank you Juggledad.
I see that you help a lot of people with your responses.

I'm a bit scared of tampering with code as seem to be good at messing the whole site up that way, so I will have to give that a miss.
Also, I would be adding pages daily, or weekly at least.

How would someone go about requesting a plugin to be made? Who would one ask? Or is that an expensive process and likely not to work since only one person wants it?

Thanks,
Dean
Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:36 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
do a google search on 'wordpress programmer' there are lots of sites out there. Jobes.wordpress.net is just one.
Note: I have no idea who runs these various sites or how good any of them are. I'm just pointing out that they exist.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:33 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Hey there -

I haven't installed this yet, so am completely unsure if it offers the customization you need, but am using another plugin from the same site and it seems like it would help you.

Even if it can't be customized, maybe you could get the author to help you out - he seems to sell support packages (no, I'm not affiliated with him)

http://www.nathanrice.net/plugins/

Redirect Parent to First Child Plugin

Let me know if its any help

Thanks
---
Josh Weiss || I.T. Consultant / Social Media Teacher / Photographer
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Links: Consulting / Teaching / Photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old May 7, 2010, 02:00 PM
mrjak01

12 posts · May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsweiss
Hey there -

I haven't installed this yet, so am completely unsure if it offers the customization you need, but am using another plugin from the same site and it seems like it would help you.

Even if it can't be customized, maybe you could get the author to help you out - he seems to sell support packages (no, I'm not affiliated with him)

http://www.nathanrice.net/plugins/

Redirect Parent to First Child Plugin

Let me know if its any help

Thanks
---
Josh Weiss
This works, look below for more detailed instructions:

1. Go to this URL for 'Redirector'

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/redirector/

Alternately click on 'Add New' under 'Plugins' in your dashboard and search for 'Redirector'

2. Install and activate

3. In dashboard under 'Pages' click 'Edit'

4. Select the Sub-menu Parent that you do NOT want a link to

5. The 'Redirect' plugin appears at the bottom of the edit page.

6. Check the option for 'Redirect to the first child page'

7. Update page

8. Go to site and refresh and test, should work fine now
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:01 PM
Richdan

1 posts · Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjak01
This works, look below for more detailed instructions:

1. Go to this URL for 'Redirector'

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/redirector/

Alternately click on 'Add New' under 'Plugins' in your dashboard and search for 'Redirector'

2. Install and activate

3. In dashboard under 'Pages' click 'Edit'

4. Select the Sub-menu Parent that you do NOT want a link to

5. The 'Redirect' plugin appears at the bottom of the edit page.

6. Check the option for 'Redirect to the first child page'

7. Update page

8. Go to site and refresh and test, should work fine now
Thank mrjak01 for the tip. Unfortunately I'm trying to have all parent pages with children not to be clickable. As you can see all my pages with children are clickable. I am also using Atahualpa 3.4.9 on my Beach Jobs website and the same problem there. You'll probably ask me why I don't upgrade? And the answer is that it took a while to learn the options and customizing my websites to my look and feel that I rather find a solution instead.
Any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance.

Last edited by Richdan; Jan 18, 2011 at 02:05 PM.