Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Error in PHP Coding Using PHP Text Widget

Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:47 AM
rnimchuk

6 posts · Sep 2009
St. Paul, Minnesota - USA
This should be simple but for some reason it is not. I am using Executable PHP widget to place some coding within a right inner sidebar. I created a custom field named "callout_text" that is used to display a sentence or two as a callout of the current post. Within the widget, the code I am placing is:

<?php callout_text(); ?>

However, when displaying the page, I get the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function callout_text() in /home/content/r/p/n/rpnimchuk/html/wp/wp-content/plugins/php-code-widget/execphp.php(37) : eval()'d code on line 1

What the heck am I doing wrong? BTW I am using Custom Post Limits to limit the home page to a single post. I am also using WP 2.8.5 and the latest version of Atahualpa.

Thanks!

Bob Nimchuk

Last edited by rnimchuk; Oct 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Resolved Problem
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:51 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
when you use the syntax 'xxx()' php believes that you are calling the function 'xxx' so somewhere in the code there hast be
HTML Code:
function xxx(parms) {
   some
   code
   goes
   here
   }
the error is saying that php can't find the callout_text function
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:26 PM
rnimchuk

6 posts · Sep 2009
St. Paul, Minnesota - USA
Thanks Juggledad. Found the error of my ways. I needed to place the following code in the widget:

<?php
global $post;
echo get_post_meta($post->ID, "callout_text", true);
?>

Because this is contained within a widget you also need to declare the scope (global $post) to return the information. This works great for how I want to display part of blog's content as call out text.

Bob

Last edited by rnimchuk; Oct 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM.