Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Correct Code to Align Cells in new 4 Column Widget Area Created in Footer

Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:22 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Hi,

Using Atahualpa 3.6.4 and WordPress 3.1.4, I have used the following code in the ATO > Style and Edit Footer box to create a new four-column widget area in the Footer:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer 4Col Widget Area&cells=4&align=8&align_2=8&align_3=8& align_4=8&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>

It works, but I'd prefer to have the columns aligned so that the far right and far left columns are the same width as the right and left sidebars on the site (220), and the center two columns should each occupy half the width of the center column (which expands). I have the site set to expand, with a fluid width of 90%, a minimum total width of 940, and a maximum width of 1000.

Can someone give me the exact code to create the new footer widget area with that alignment and width? I'd be very grateful! (Sorry, but I don't really understand the instructions on the ATO > Create New Widget Area page. The example code they have there for creating a four column widget area did not seem to work at all.)

Many thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
try
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer 4Col Widget Area&cells=4&align=8&align_2=8&align_3=8&align_4=8&width_1=200&width_4=200&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Brilliant! That worked beautifully, with just a little tweeking on the widths. Thank you, Juggledad!!

Now the only remaining issue seems to be that the tops of the four widgets float up and down, depending on the amount of text I put in each widget. How can I make the tops of the 4 widgets fixed and aligned in a straight line across? Some CSS Code for each widget?

Again, thanks so much for your great help, Juggledad!!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
try using a 'vertical-align:top;'
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:36 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Tried that. Didn't seem to work. The selector I am using does affect the widget for other styling, but ...

Here is what I tried:

div#listcategorypostswidget-6 {
padding-right: 10px;
padding-left: 5px;
vertical-align: top !important;
}

The padding worked for the widget, but not the vertical align (with or without the !important).

Any other ideas? I am most grateful for your help!!!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what is the url?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
your problem is that you have specified that they all align in the middle. When you defined the widget area you probably used the default alignment (1) which is 'middle' change it to 2, ie 'align=2' which will be top.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:42 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Sorry to be dense, but I don't understand where to put the 'align=2'.

Here is the exact code I used to create the widget area:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer 4Col Widget Area&cells=4&align=8&align_2=8&align_3=8&align_4=8 &width_1=220&width_2=250&width_3=250&width_4=200&b efore_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?></div>

How exactly would I change it to make the widgets in it top-aligned?

Thanks so much again for all your help!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Use this code instead.
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer 4Col Widget Area&cells=4&align=2&width_1=220&width_2=250&width_3=250&width_4=200&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?></div>
I just replaced all the "&align_x" with the single align code which will align all cells as indicated in the New Widget area section.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
That worked perfectly!

Thank you both so much!!

I have made a donation to each of you via PayPal, with much appreciation.