Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating » Old Version fixes and change logs »

BUGFIX - 3.4.3/3.4.4 - STEP-BY-STEP instructions for removing 'bad' NEW WIDGET AREA's

Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Version 3.4.0.1 of Atahualpa introduced the 'New Widget Areas'. However, there was a bug in the code that only allowed one new widget area to be created. And, you couldn't delete the widget areas. This bug persisted until release 3.4.3

With 3.4.3 you could now create use the new widget areas, but any 'new widget area' created prior to 3.4.3 was still in the database. The following program will correct this issue by deleting one row from the wp_options table.

Directions
1) BACKUP YOUR DATABASE
2) download the attached file and unzip it. It will contain:
a folder named 'bfa_widgetfix'
a file inside called 'bfa_widgetfix.php'
3) copy the file to the 'wp-content' folder on your server
4) run the program by typing in the browser address bar:
'http://YOURDOMAINNAME.COM/wordpress/wp-content/bfa_widgetfix.php'
NOTE: depending on how you insealled wordpress, you may not need the 'wordpress' portion of the address
You will see 'BFA_WidgetFix: processing complete' indicating it is finished.
5) view your site and REFERESH THE SCREEN TWICE.
this will recreate the row containing the 'new widget area' information without the artifacts from the pre 3.4.3 'new widget areas'
6) delete the program 'bfa_widgetfix.php' from the wp-contents folder on
your server
7) (optional) press the donate button on the bottom of the screen to reward me for coming up with this fix
bfa_widgetfix.zip

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 8, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:09 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Very clever of you, JD. I was a bit nervous about running that SQL query you gave me, but it did work, and fixed the problem. This new solution should make it really easy for non-database wizards to accomplish the same thing. Your excellent support here has been well worth the donation I made directly to you.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:49 PM
DarrenNI

2 posts · Jun 2009
Hi, I've run the fix above, but for some reason it seems to have removed my header image and screwed up the display of the logo?

(website is www.casakaleb.org)

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Sorry, my fault - for some reason the permissions on the image files had got messed up...

Last edited by DarrenNI; Oct 20, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 01:03 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
I ran this script, Juggledad, and it did remove the first ever widget areas that I'd added back a few versions and had never managed to get rid of.

It also had one unexpected result. I had widgetized my whole front page last month, creating 10 separate new widget areas that appear only on the homepage (http://theagnonschool.org/). It did NOT delete those widget areas, but it did remove (or in some cases, moved around) the widgets that had been placed in those widget areas.

Fortunately, the removed widgets had been saved under Inactive Widgets and all I had to do was find them and drag them back into place.

I don't know if anyone else has or will encounter(ed) this, but once I realized what happened it was no trouble. It was little enough to do in exchange for removing those plaguey old no-longer-existing widget areas from the list on the Widgets page.

Thanks again.