Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Is there a way to make a widget title clickable?

Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
ie. as in links to another page

Rashell
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:44 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I know some widgets have that functionality but I know of no way to link any old widget title. Curious to see if someone has an idea.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:12 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you would have to edit the plugin's code and put in the link.

I wonder if you could write a plugin that would look for a shortcode, like
[widget-link title='widget title' link='http://domain.com/page']
and apply it correctly.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:34 AM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
got it halfway there.

I swapped the functions.php register sidebar with

register_sidebar(array(
'name'=>'Right Sidebar',
'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">',
'after_widget' => '</div>',
'before_title' => '<div class="widget-title"><a href="./link"><h3>',
'after_title' => '</h3></a></div>',
));

But I have to figure out how to make the links dynamic or specific for each widget. Right now they're all linking to

http://mydomain.com/link

Got any suggestions, anyone?

Rashell
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:37 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Would the widget's ID help?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:37 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
I think so. I'm still trying to grapple my mind around the whole dynamic_sidebar_params wordpress thing. I'm not sure if I'd need to list each widget currently in my right sidebar in the functions.php seperately. I'd just go into each widget and change the "title" to a clickable link but there's 1 with a multiple instance I can't do it with.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:01 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I haven't tested it but you might want to look at this plugin for linkable titles.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:30 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
You know i was checking that out the other day and dismissed it because it didn't answer all my problems at once. Now that I rethink it... it just might do.

Will try it and let you all know.

Thanks you all so so so much for brainstorming with me!!!

Rashell
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:23 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
Update:

Wasn't seeing the forest for the trees there. Rather than messing with the ATA functions.php I could have just as easily created new widget areas inside the right sidebar using a PHP/Text Widget & a new widget area formula similar to...

PHP Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=WidgetAreaName&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>&before_title=<div class="widget-title"><h3><a href="http://myurl.com/category/link/that-changes-per-widget">&after_title=</a></h3></div>'); ?>
Any widget that went into this area would have the page link built in... so I was only going to add 1 widget per new widget area. (I only have 5 plugins to link this way)

It works but not flawlessly. I was trying to link the widget/plugin Sideposts. It will only allow you to link one instance. Anymore than that and it destroys your layout. Seems to work fine with other plugins though. Ah well...

On to next brainstorm...

Rashell

Last edited by Rashell; Mar 16, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Me thinks you spend way too much time in front of the computer like I do . Happy Brainstorming.