Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Sidebars only on static "Home" page -- possible?

Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
Misa

16 posts · Feb 2010
My search fu is weak, apparently! Couldn't locate a quick answer so figure I'd ask in hopes of finding out...

I'm using an old, extremely modified version of Atahualpa (version 2.21 -- yikes!) on a non-profit site. Now they want me to build a new sister site and, of course, my first consideration for themes is Atahualpa.

Anyhow, onto my question... with the newest, greatest Atahualpa: is it possible to turn off sidebars on all subpages or designate which pages to not have them display? Or is it a matter of writing a new page template and excluding the sidebars via code?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Yes... For example you could have the sidebars on the hompage only or not have them on any given page using a page ID.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:49 PM
Misa

16 posts · Feb 2010
Hiya Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply! Kinda leads me to another question...

The original site, for lack of a better description, is a complete and total beast with 90+ pages.

If I wanted to omit the sidebar from all from all but the home page, would that require 90+ page IDs? May the gods help me if they want it to get that crazy...
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:22 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
No. There is a list of pages you can choose to only show the sidebars on including the Home Page or the Front Page. Here is the list of pages you can put a check mark next to if you want the sidebars to show. So if you only want them on the Home Page or Front Page you would just put a check mark next to those...

Homepage
Front Page
Single Posts
"Page" pages
Category Pages
Archive Pages
Tag Pages
Cust.Tax.
Search Results
Author Pages
"Not Found"
Attachments
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I forgot to add that if you are going to upgrade the old site to the latest Atahualpa DON'T use the auto upgrade feature. Instead use the method that Juggledad suggests as below.

Quote:
try manually installing the theme instead of using the automatic update

If you added images to the images/header/ folder and do an automatic upgrade, the folder maybe wiped out with the images from the theme. This is why you want to backup any images you have put there.

Personally, I do the update manually. I
- download the theme to my computer
- unzip the folder and make sure it has the name of the version
- copy in my header images, deleting the supplied images
- FTP the folder to the themes folder
This way I can switch between versions just in case I missed something - this does require that I adjust URL names if I'm using the full path name to get to an image, but I'm ok with that.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:35 PM
Misa

16 posts · Feb 2010
Thanks very much for your replies, Larry -- much appreciated.

The latest and greatest is sure improved over 2.21 -- that's undeniable! Can't believe I even wasted time with researching other themes, I'll be using Atahualpa.

Thanks for the info on updating. Unfortunately, there are so many changes made to my old site's theme I'd undoubtedly bork something serious if I upgraded so I think it'll have to stay as it is. Amateur lesson learned: always keep a change log. *sigh*

Cheers!

Misa

Edit: So NICE that you can include 404's... find that annoying about my old site, with the sidebars visible on the 404. It'll be like working with a whole new theme I have a feeling!

Last edited by Misa; Feb 19, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added a P.S. Edit note.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:57 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The method of upgrading that I told you about easily allows you to go back to the old theme if the new one doesn't work so I would think an upgrade would be something to consider as long as you follow the steps outlined and of course backup the database.

Also what is the url to the old site? I would love to take a look.