Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Show 1 post above 3 columns on home page using multi column/custom query template

Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:40 AM
ljdj

2 posts · Sep 2011
Hi,

I'm a complete novice, but have been following the very helpful instructions in the following thread

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18385&highlight=posts+columns

attempting to set up my home page to have 4 columns, with one post at the top of the page spanning the three left hand columns.

Specifically, here is what I did:

I created a new page and named it Acceuil (this is French for “home”)
• Selected Juggledad’s … template
• Created custom fields:
o number_of_columns with value 3
o number_of_full_posts with value 1
o posts_above_the_column with value 1

On WP/Settings/Reading I selected
• A static page: Front page — Acceuil
• Blog pages show at most 1 post
• Syndication feeds show the most recent 1 item
• For each article … show Full text

However, the result is not what I wanted: The columns all start at the top of the page, and my post is squeezed in between the left inner and right inner columns instead of appearing at the top of the page above the left, left inner, and right inner columns. (See attached screen shot)

Must be some other settings I need to adjust. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coherence_Screen_shot.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2010  
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
shut off the right and left inner sidebars. the template will work in the CENTER area - in your case it will first show one post, then show three posts under it in three columns.

You need to change the 'Blog pages show at most 1 post' to at least '4'

because your site is so narrow, the three columns would squish and look like it was one column
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:31 AM
ljdj

2 posts · Sep 2011
Brilliant! I hadn't understood that the template just applies to the center area.

Now I'm working on how to get the 3 columns to all have the same width. Is this possible? I've been playing around with post styling settings, but this doesn't seem to work.

Here is what my page looks like now:

Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
do it via css like
HTML Code:
.mccq_column1 {width: 33%;}
.mccq_column2 {width: 33%;}
.mccq_column3 {width: 33%;}
also see TEMPLATE: Multi Column/Custom Query
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
Dick

9 posts · Oct 2009
Please help, managed to get multiple columns working just need to know where to put the html to fix the width. Which or where is the css file to add the following code:

.mccq_column1 {width: 33%;}
.mccq_column2 {width: 33%;}
.mccq_column3 {width: 33%;}

Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
add teh CSS to ato->Add HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts