Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » ThemeFrame Presales »

under the hood - isnt Atahualpa better?

Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:09 AM
oneearth

7 posts · Oct 2010
I love Atahualpa and believe that a lot of work has gone into making it fast, optimised for seo, compatible with browsers and plugins etc. If themes created with ThemeFrame will inherit all this good ubder the hood functionality I will buy it. Otherwise wouldnt I be better off customising Atahualpa?
And since Atahualpa has such fantastic customisability (which I presume themes created with Themeframe will not have) wouldnt advanced clients also be better off with a customised Atahualpa?

Can Themeframe create child themes for Atahualpa??
Or why would I choose it?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:03 AM
oneearth

7 posts · Oct 2010
Wow 150+ views and no replies...
I would really like to purchase once this is answered and before the price goes up!
DV
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:48 AM
oneearth

7 posts · Oct 2010
Hellooo - I would like to make a purchase - is there anybody out there? Do I have to make a donayion to get an answer to a presale question?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:55 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Themeframe cannot create child themes for Atahualpa. It is a theme builder that let's people with fewer CSS skills to build a theme. It also lets web designers build themes that their clients can't mess up modify. I believe that as Themeframe matures it will have the ability to build theme options into it but right now if you want the ability to tweak many of your setting on the fly then Atahualpa is still the winner... for now.

I still use Atahualpa for all my designing but am excited to see what Themeframe will become.

Bottom line they are two different animals. One is a theme (Atahualpa) and one is a theme builder (Themeframe)
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:21 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
When I started ThemeFrame, Atahualpa was 2 years old. With ThemeFrame I wanted to do do a few things differently instead of being bound to the way things are laid out in Atahualpa. Atahualpa has a huge number of active users, doing huge changes requires a lot of effort to keep everyone happy. I can consider more things now, after thousands of coding hours and user feedback, then I was back then when I started Atahualpa.

ThemeFrame has the same browser compatibility, it uses the same layout technique as Atahualpa but on top of that it will get the additional option to create a tableless layout.

Then there's the fundamental difference that Larry mentioned: Themeframe isn't a theme itself but a tool to create themes. And it's highly visual whereas in Atahualpa you need to type CSS code to apply visual changes.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:20 AM
jeremysmerritt

16 posts · Sep 2010
If you want quick and easy then Atahualpa is for you. If you want to totally customize a theme visualy and control every aspect without custom programming then Themeframe is it!

I have used both. I will tell you that for ease of use Atahualpa requires little to get up and running. The screens are easy to use, and a little customization can go a long way to making a very pleasing wordpress site.

If however, you want to have a wordpress site that looks exactly the way you want, and "close" doesn't cut it. Or You have tried many themes, and you find yourself spending hours customizing and editing the styles.css file, them Themframe will change your life.

I am a control freak. I like visual, and yet I'm also a coder. I have found that without having to know all the ins and outs of the wordpress API, I can get great results very fast with Themeframe. I am now working on my 3rd themeframe wordpress site.

So, in summary, it really depends on your goals, tastes, and needs.

Themeframe: When you close doesn't cut it, and you don't have days to customize someone elses theme.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:49 AM
oneearth

7 posts · Oct 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand the difference between Atahualpa and Themeframe pretty well. What I am still a little unclear about is how Themeframe themes are optimised under the hood?

For instance Atahualpa has some built in SEO functions. I presume these will not be incorporated in Themeframe themes? So I suppose an SEO plugin will be needed?

And as I understand it there are many other ways in which Atahualpa is optimised for search engines. For instance its load time and the number of database calls, and Im sure the list is long.

Im sure also that Flynn and co know enough to make sure that Themeframe themes will be reasonable on all levels... however Im still feeling that for building the most sleek and mean promotional machine Atahualpa may still be better no? Significantly so or not?

I presume that Themeframe themes will be widget ready and play with other plugins as nicely as Atahualpa does?

In other words - forget about the visual design aspects of Themeframe themes - how well do they perform in all the other ways?
I could just trust that you guys know what you are doing and go for it I guess... but Im surprised I cant find any info about this here. Please... blow its clean code and future proof optimisation trumpet for me
Old Oct 19, 2010, 09:27 AM
sober

121 posts · Oct 2010
I knew that themeframe wasn't that battle hardened as atahualpa is, when I bought it. But I hope it would get really better once the initial learning curve gets passed for both the developers and the users.May be you will realize, when it comes to beta 30 or so. But the product at beta 16 is worth $80. Just my two cents...
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:03 PM
steve955

11 posts · Nov 2010
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysmerritt
If you want quick and easy then Atahualpa is for you. If you want to totally customize a theme visualy and control every aspect without custom programming then Themeframe is it!
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I started as print designer long time ago, involved in web design only recent years but not good at HTML, CSS etc, I always have my PSD design comps cut up by others. I installed WordPress in the summer but never have the ability to build a website by myself.

Two weeks ago, I went to a WP MeetUp event, saw Atahualpa the first time. Half convinced, I started learning it in the past few days... I was able to build a VERY satisfactory test-demo site!

Thank you Flynn & co for building this great theme!! Now, I'm totally convinced, I want ThemeFrame!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
HiTechBiniou

6 posts · Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysmerritt

I have used both. I will tell you that for ease of use Atahualpa requires little to get up and running. The screens are easy to use, and a little customization can go a long way to making a very pleasing wordpress site.

If however, you want to have a wordpress site that looks exactly the way you want, and "close" doesn't cut it. Or You have tried many themes, and you find yourself spending hours customizing and editing the styles.css file, them Themframe will change your life.

I am a control freak. I like visual, and yet I'm also a coder. I have found that without having to know all the ins and outs of the wordpress API, I can get great results very fast with Themeframe. I am now working on my 3rd themeframe wordpress site.

So, in summary, it really depends on your goals, tastes, and needs.

Themeframe: When you close doesn't cut it, and you don't have days to customize someone elses theme.
Hi Jeremy,

Can you give us a link to check your 3 TF sites?

Mario Bruneau