Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How to add a static pic under 'categories'

Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:18 PM
bandel4

9 posts · Dec 2009
Hi all...

What I need to do is to have a particular post at the very top of the category page.
Like usual, when a visitor clicks on any of the categories, a page will load with the title "Archive for XXXX category". I need a particular post (even though it is an old post) to be displayed at the very top, followed by the (newer) rest.

I have tried using the 'Category Page' plug-in. But somehow it doesn't work.

I am hopeless with codes.

I am using WP2.8.6 and Theme version 3.4.4

I have just converted to this theme and at the moment, at the verge of giving up. Just can't figure this one out.

My blog is http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/

Would appreciate any help
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you play with making the post a sticky? - the issue will be it will also stick on a blog page though
Old Dec 8, 2009, 01:40 AM
bandel4

9 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
did you play with making the post a sticky? - the issue will be it will also stick on a blog page though
Yes, that is something I would want to avoid.
Any other suggestions? Ideas?
Please?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 03:21 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
how do you plan to identify this 'particular post'? Will there be one for each category or just one for everything?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:16 AM
bandel4

9 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
how do you plan to identify this 'particular post'? Will there be one for each category or just one for everything?
Hi...what I am hoping to achieve is to have a 'picture' at the very top of a category archive. That picture will done thru a post. Do this while maintaining the rotating header pics.

For example, if people click on the 'Gear and Craft' category, a page will load. This page will have at the very top a post with picture in it. I am hoping to make this picture a collage of some of the gear and crafts covered under the category. Underneath this post (which is the collage of pictures) are the posts.

Any idea?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
here is an idea. You could use the page2cat (category pages) plugin.
You have 'Gear and Craft' as a category (assume it's id 41), so you make a second category 'GnC_Photo' (assume it's id 56)

on your page you could have
[catlist=56]
[catlist=41]

Now when you assign a post the category of GnC_Photo, it will show up first followed by the posts from the 'Gear and Craft' category. The neat thing about this is, you could change the photo at any time by adding the GnC_Photo to another post.

One of my 'projects' is playing with the page2cat plugin. I'd like to make it so you could say [catlist=41 and 56] so it would only lost things that had both categories. but I keep spending too much time answering forum questions
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
bandel4

9 posts · Dec 2009
Hi juggledad..

I appreciate your help very much but I am totally daft about some of the codings.

How do I find what is the category ID?

When you mention the below:

"on your page you could have
[catlist=56]
[catlist=41]
"

does that mean I have to add the codes into my post or somthing like that?

Would appreciate you help please.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you go to the category page in the backend (dashboard->posts->categories when you edit a category, you will see in the browser's address bar something like this
HTML Code:
http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/categories.php?action=edit&cat_ID=3
the category ID in this case is '3' so in the page you would use the catlist short code
[catlist=3]
and the page2cat plugin will list the posts in that category
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
bandel4

9 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
If you go to the category page in the backend (dashboard->posts->categories when you edit a category, you will see in the browser's address bar something like this
HTML Code:
http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/categories.php?action=edit&cat_ID=3
the category ID in this case is '3' so in the page you would use the catlist short code
[catlist=3]
and the page2cat plugin will list the posts in that category
juggledad...I am very confused now.

Hope you be patient with me.

I want to have a post (lets call it post A) to be at the very top of the 'category' page. Meaning, after a visitor click on the 'Gear & Craft' category, the 'archive for the Gear & Craft category' page will load. After that header, there will be Post A, followed by the archive of other posts (even posts that are newer will be under post A).

I now have the page2cat plugin installed.
I tried to link categories to 'About Us' page (without trying what your method) and still nothing happens. I was suspecting the plugin does not work.

You suggest that I create another Category called 'GnCphoto' and lets say the ID is 56 (thanks, I manage to find the ID now)
I am lost what to do with this ID. Where do I do it?

When you say in the page...what page are you refering to? Is it my posts? Do I have to include the code into all my posts under that category?

I cannot link your instructions together.

My page2cat plugin has only buttons to click to link categories to pages. Nothing where I can add codes etc.

Please help.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:31 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
there are two ways to use page2cat - one linking the pages and cateories which is awful and I never got to work, and using a shortcode.

to use a short code, you just add '[catlist=51]' in your post or page. the brackets are part of the shortcode.

In your case, you would assign post A to the GnCphoto category. Now where ever you put [catlist=51] (assuming 51 is the ID of the GnCphoto category) that post will show up. (If you assigned this category to more osts, they would show up also)

So you now have a way to display a single post because it is the only one with that category.

By also adding a shortcode for the 'Gear & Craft's category (we will assume it's ID is '3') you can have the single post, then the rest of the posts, so you would add two catlist shortcodes
[catlist=51]
[catlist=3]
to the post or page.

It would be much easier if you could code [catlist=GnCphoto] but alas...we can't,

Does this help?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:45 PM
bandel4

9 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
there are two ways to use page2cat - one linking the pages and cateories which is awful and I never got to work, and using a shortcode.

to use a short code, you just add '[catlist=51]' in your post or page. the brackets are part of the shortcode.

In your case, you would assign post A to the GnCphoto category. Now where ever you put [catlist=51] (assuming 51 is the ID of the GnCphoto category) that post will show up. (If you assigned this category to more osts, they would show up also)

So you now have a way to display a single post because it is the only one with that category.

By also adding a shortcode for the 'Gear & Craft's category (we will assume it's ID is '3') you can have the single post, then the rest of the posts, so you would add two catlist shortcodes
[catlist=51]
[catlist=3]
to the post or page.

It would be much easier if you could code [catlist=GnCphoto] but alas...we can't,

Does this help?
Hi Juggledad...thanks for all your help but I think I did not make myself clear on what I would like to achieve.

I think what you suggest above will cause me to have two almost similar category names on my right column. I will have 'Gear & Craft' and 'GnCPhoto' listed under the category column. Is that right?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
here is a site that explains how to hide a category in the sidebar
'Exclude Categories from Sidebar – WordPress 2.8' http://www.lancelhoff.com/exclude-ca...wordpress-2-8/
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:46 PM
bandel4

9 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
here is a site that explains how to hide a category in the sidebar
'Exclude Categories from Sidebar – WordPress 2.8' http://www.lancelhoff.com/exclude-ca...wordpress-2-8/

Hi juggledad...

Thank you for the above. That is really helpful.

I have tried what you suggested including the codes from the link you gave me.
Still the category that is suppose to NOT appear appears on categories column.
Could this be due to the fact that I am using the latest version of Wp?

Cheers

Last edited by bandel4; Dec 10, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:38 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I didn't read each post in this thread, but this plugin might help with what you describe in first post:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/astickypostorderer/