Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Montezuma css grid ... am I 'getting' it?

Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:15 AM
Michael4fm

38 posts · Nov 2011
Manchester, UK
Layout [SOLVED] Montezuma css grid ... am I 'getting' it?

Love this theme ... so much I want to convert several sites to it! (Partly cos the 'two tone' effect works really well with sub-domains, and partly just cos I'm sad like that.)

1st problem I'm having is with the grid concept. Trying to get 'postformat' for each excerpt to be 9 columns wide, then a 3 column 'widget' ... for each post.

Have changed index.php to have a 12 column width for each 'postformat' sub-template. On the 'postformat' template the actual 'blurb' is 9 columns, which works, then - if I understand the grid concept correctly - there should be a 3 column 'space' for me to put something in. 9 column bit works fine, or whatever no. of columns I set it to, but the remaining 3 columns are beneath instead of 'next to'. I'm working off-line on a wamp server, but I've recreated the issue here: http://www.play.s-t-u-f-f.net

Have wrapped the main 'postformat' blurb in a 9 column div then have a 3 column div. Tried various locations for this 2nd div, but all have the same result. Any suggestions? Or am I just totally not understanding how this 'grid' concept should work?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
1st problem I'm having is with the grid concept. Trying to get 'postformat' for each excerpt to be 9 columns wide, then a 3 column 'widget' ... for each post.
Reset both index.php and postformat.php
in index.php change the line
HTML Code:
	<div id="content" class="cf col8">
to
HTML Code:
	<div id="content" class="cf col9">
and the line
HTML Code:
	<div id="widgetarea-one" class="col4">
to
HTML Code:
	<div id="widgetarea-one" class="col3">
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:49 AM
Michael4fm

38 posts · Nov 2011
Manchester, UK
Thanks for such a swift reply, Juggledad.

Won't that give me effectively two columns? One with post excerpts in and one as a sidebar (effectively, the standard, just a slightly narrower 'excerpt' column and a slightly wider sidebar?)

What I'm trying to achieve is that each excerpt has an individual widget area to the right of it. (That widget area will have a 'random' pic, so should be different for each post). That way there is no 'whitespace' as there would be if I only put two widgets in the 'standard' sidebar, but set the page up to display 10 posts, or a dozen widgets but set to display three posts per page.

My question is partly about achieving this particular objective, and partly (er .. 'thereby') to check I've understood the basic concept.

(Sorry, I may have mis-spoken or misdirected with the term 'postformat'. I meant the post information contained in the 'standard' postformat is nine columns of a row, then a three column widget area to the right of it, for each post in the loop.)

Last edited by Michael4fm; Jan 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Saw a typo. Too anal to let it ride.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:46 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
As long as the column widths in a row add up to 12, you arrange them however you want.

You can even use nested grids.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:28 PM
Michael4fm

38 posts · Nov 2011
Manchester, UK
Thanks jerryc ... the theory seems to be what I think it is ... unfortunately the reality doesn't seem to match. I guess I'm just getting something wrong somewhere, but I can't work out what!

This is the theory of what I'm trying to achieve ...

... and this is the practice ...

I assume I'm just putting a div somewhere wrongly, but everything seems right logically.

Last edited by Michael4fm; Jan 3, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:39 PM
Michael4fm

38 posts · Nov 2011
Manchester, UK
Thought it might be helpful to actually put up the code I'm using:

index.php =

HTML Code:
<!--<div id="container">-->

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="main" class="row">

<div id="content" class="cf col12">

<?php bfa_content_nav( 'multinav1' ); ?>

<?php bfa_loop( 'postformat' ); ?>

<?php bfa_content_nav( 'multinav2' ); ?>

</div>

</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

<!--</div>-->
postformat.php =

HTML Code:
<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" class="cf col9">

<h2>
		<span class="post-format"></span>
		<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a>
		<?php bfa_comments_popup_link( '0', '1', '%' ); ?>
	</h2>

<?php bfa_thumb( 620, 180, true, '<div class="thumb-shadow"><div class="post-thumb">', '</div></div>' ); ?>

<div class="post-bodycopy cf">

<div class="post-date">		

<?php c2c_the_category_image(' ','','gif','/wp-content/uploads/cats/'); ?>				
		</div>

<?php bfa_excerpt( 55, ' ...' ); ?>

</div>

<div class="post-footer">
		<a class="post-readmore" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>">
		<?php _e( 'read more &rarr;', 'montezuma' ); ?></a>
		<p class="post-categories"><?php the_category( ' &middot; ' ); ?></p>
		<?php the_tags( '<p class="post-tags">', '', '</p>' ); ?>
	</div>

</div>

<div id="widgetarea-index" class="col3">

<?php dynamic_sidebar( 'Widget Area INDEX' ); ?>

</div>
I've probably got something wrong or forgotten something that is staring me in the face ... but I've looked and looked but I'm blowed if I can spot it!

Last edited by Michael4fm; Jan 3, 2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spotted a possible culprit .. changed code but didn't work!