Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

menu problems on ATA 3.5.3 and WP 3.1.2

Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
menu problems on ATA 3.5.3 and WP 3.1.2

I *also* am seeing problems of late, & I'm on an old version of Ata (v3.5.3) & of WP (v3.1.2)

(Drop down submenus disappear: the menu *might* display the first link of the list, but not others, intermittently, yet the area the rest of the drop down would occupy on the page is white. I'm on Mac 10.8, Firefox, while a friend has seen a similar problem today on a PC w/Firefox & Chrome, & IE apparently simply screws up the >> arrows indicating a sub menu.)

My friend that recommended WP & Ata several years ago, & helped me with some code tinkering & settings for the site had said that upgrades could cause things to break, & not to upgrade.

For this problem, she suggested I get a patch for v3.5.3, but I don't see where to find that.

Suggestions about upgrading Ata & WP, or about the patch, or about what to fix that's specifically causing the sub-menu prob?

(I post here because this MIGHT be consistent with upgrading to the newest Ata version.)

Thanks!!!
Ric
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:57 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
With such an old version of WordPress you can't tell what might be affecting what plus you are wide open to hacks. My first step in figuring out problems is to get a backup and then update WordPress and all plugins. You just have to be aware of possible issues with an upgrade over that many versions.

I see sites from time to time that have old version of WordPress and ofter wonder why they haven't upgraded considering how simple it is when going up one version. Did you have some specific reasons for not updating?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:43 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
My friend, the WP & Ata expert told me that things break when you upgrade & suggested I NOT upgrade. Me, I know enough to be dangerous to myself.

I do have weekly backups, but understand that it doesn't include *everything* (dunno if that means some code tweaks she made will get lost, or some settings, content or what exactly might get lost in the upgrade).

She had recommended I get patches to v3.5.3, but I don't know where to find those. On the other hand, I understand the concerns you addressed, I just am not sure exactly WHAT to do....

#:-/
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I would suggest you talk to your 'friend' and get her to upgrade you. Leaving you at such old releases is not the best decision in my mind.

However if you want to remain at that release feel free, but you are going to have to dig into the forums and see if you can figure out what to do, you are too far back in releases.

My advice is that if you or your friend can't upgrade you, you hire someone to do it who knows what they are doing and make sure to BACKUP EVERYTHING before you start

p.s. I've moved this to a seperate thread

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 13, 2013 at 06:07 AM.