Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] All admin links bring me to 'page not found'? How do I fix the per

Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:08 PM
machepap

18 posts · Apr 2009
Everything was going great until I tried changing the home page address in settings in an attempt to set a static page as the default homepage. Once I did, I was unable to change it back. Now every link in the admin panel is adding "welcome/" into the url, and the header banner is missing as well.

So two questions:

How can I undo this?

How do I properly set a static page to be the default home?

Eventually, I will be moving the entire site out of a subdirectory and into the main directory, replacing the existing site. Here's the current address for the intended home page:

http://financialplanningforum.org/wptest/welcome/

Thank you thank you thank you in advance for your help.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:37 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you make this change at dashboard->settings->general?
If so you are going to have to go edit the row in the database - do you know phpMyAdmin?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:43 PM
machepap

18 posts · Apr 2009
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I did make the change there. I don't know phpMyAdmin, but I can follow directions!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:09 AM
machepap

18 posts · Apr 2009
PS. Any help will be appreciated! I have installed phpMyAdmin. Now what?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:20 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Trying to teach you how to use phpMyadmin is not something that should be done via the forums. Are you in the US? What platform are you uing PC/MAC?s

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 3, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:28 PM
machepap

18 posts · Apr 2009
I'm on a Mac.

Perhaps this is unrealistic, I had hoped it would be a straightforward thing to find the wrong path in the code and correct it.

How do you suggest I proceed?

I really appreciate your help, thanks for taking the time.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:43 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
where are you located?

It would probably take me at least an hour to write up and test a step by step set of directions to tell you what to do to. I would want to make sure that you didn't do anything that could permenantly mess up your site. This is why I asked if you knew phpMyAdmin.

You need to edit the row in the wp-options table that contains the blog url and the row that contains the wordpress url to agree with the current location of teh blog.

Now you know what to do. Proceed at your own risk and backup the db before you start!!!

Since I don't get paid for this (yes I'm a volunteer - some people are nice enough to donate to me) spending that much time is beyond the limit I give for free.

The fact that you have a mac means that I could screen share with you and show you what needs to be done. If you would like to hire me for a training session, send me a PM and I'll quote you my rates and we can set up a time.

P.S. have you backed up your database yet?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:33 AM
machepap

18 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks for your help. I have backed up the database and saved it off-site.

I may take you up on the training session at some point, in the meantime, I'm not opposed to donating in appreciation of your volunteer help!

Here's where things stand now:

I followed the instructions in this tutorial - also found the same thing here.

After doing this, attempts to view site pages in the browser after led to error messages about not being able to write to the cache. I restored the cache (I had backed this up as well) and everything seems to be working fine again. Do you think leaving the cache in place is cause for alarm? I am holding off on making any further changes to the site until I'm sure.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Once you shut off the caches (a plugin I assume) you should be able to flush the caches. Once that is done. you should be able to turn them back on and it will start afresh. Course that's how it should work all depends on the cache software.

I think with correcting the url you should be fine.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
machepap

18 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks, that's great news.

By the way, I did give a donation and in doing, I realized I recognized the name (in your paypal account). I have donated to you before, which means you have helped me before! I really appreciate it.

Now for my next issue... but for that, a new thread...