Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Big Trouble getting "Admin Links Widget" to work

Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:20 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
I'm posting here because this "widget" installs as plugin and then "appears" as a sidebar widget.

I installed and activated the "Admin Links Widget" http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...idebar-widget/

Simply, I can't get the widget to appear in either sidebar at all, ever. I contacted the author http://kdmurray.net/2007/08/14/wordp...-links-widget/ who suggested there might be some interaction happening with other widgets I was running.

I removed ALL widgets from BOTH sidebars except for "Admin Links" without any joy. And then I started deactivating plugins.

I disabled:
cforms
Inline Posts
WP Shopping Cart
CMS Navigation

The still active plugins are:
Akismet
All in One SEO Pack
Page Management Dropdown
Plugin Central
WP-DBManager
WP-PageNavi
WP Super Cache

I'm at my wits end. I "know" the widget is "there" -- if you go to http://www.shepherdjim.com/ you can see that the left sidebar is empty -- NOT showing the "To put some content here, ..." notice you see in the unpopulated right sidebar. If I remove the widget from the left sidebar, the "To put some content here, ..." then appear there as well.

WP is installed in a subdir /wp/ and I have things set up so you don't need to enter /wp/ as part of the URL. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

EDIT / Update: I just realized that I'm not running the latest version of theme Atahualpa on www.shepherdjim.com so quickly installed the newest 3.3.2 -- there's no change. This plugin/widget still refuses to show itself. ???

Has anyone had experience with this plugin? Keith Murray, the author, has gone to the trouble of installing Atahualpa and reports he's not having any problems.

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Apr 9, 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: update info re theme version (see bold red)
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:42 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Can you turn on the "Default" theme for a moment to see if this caused by Atahualpa? You should remove the widget from Atahualpa's sidebar first to make sure Atahualpa doesn't hold the widget hostage.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 06:28 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Well. I installed the widget. Sounds like a great idea. It shows up in the sidebar, but nothing happens when I click on a link. It's because the links are not pointing to where the admin is; the widget thinks admin is in the root, but it's in /wp27/. Clicking on a link makes the front page, root/index.php, load instead, even if I was on another post when I clicked.

I will try to edit the plugin code and report back.

REPORTING IN, SIR:

OK, it's simple. Sounds like you have the same setup I do. I used the plugin editor to change
Code:
if (is_page() && $show_editthispage) {
			  echo '<li><a href="'.$blog_url.'/wp-admin/page.php?action=edit&post=';
			  the_id();
			  echo '">Edit This Page</a>';
to
Code:
if (is_page() && $show_editthispage) {
			  echo '<li><a href="'.$blog_url.'/wp27/wp-admin/page.php?action=edit&post=';
			  the_id();
			  echo '">Edit This Page</a>';
Several instances of that, for each option. It really works! Now I just have to logout and come back as non-admin and make sure it's not showing.

Flynn, could there be a security concern with this plugin?

Last edited by paulae; Apr 10, 2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: found solution
Old Apr 10, 2009, 07:54 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hello Flynn & Paula!

I've now tried everything that the BOTH of you have suggested and still am unable to even make this widget appear in either sidebar, functioning or not.

Paula, I went to Keith Murray's (author of the "Links Admin Widget"/plugin) website and commented in with what you'd discovered about the plugin apparently assuming that WP must be installed in the root. Hopefully he can work a fix into the code that will preclude us having to go in and mess around.

The fact that I have never even been able to make this widget appear on either of my sites is worrying. Besides the "not installed in the root" problem that Paula has uncovered, I'm guessing something about the redirection I have set up so as to not show the "/wp/" AND do show the "www" in the browser's URL window may be creating trouble.

While better minds than mine mull this all over I am going to retire to the sidelines and finish updating the Atahualpa version I'm running on www.ShepherdJim.com.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 03:59 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Well, I have www showing in the settings, and I have the WP files in /wp27/ and index.php in the root, and all is well now. Make sure your ISP people check that your .htaccess file is set up right. I'd deactivate and fully delete the plugin and make sure it left no artifacts in the plugins root, then try it again from scratch.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:54 PM
MrGibbage

2 posts · Apr 2009
I also just installed this widget, and WP 2.7.1, and cannot see the Admin Links widget in the sidebar under any circumstances. I tried the default theme and a couple of others, no joy. Standing by to help in any way I can.

Skip
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:34 AM
MrGibbage

2 posts · Apr 2009
I think it has something to do with $user_level. I printed $user_level right after the global $user_level line and it always equals zero, even if I am logged in.

Ahh, look what I found:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Changelog/2.7.1
quote: "New installs: admin has user_level 0"

Hmm, will it work if we check for $user_level==0 instead????

Last edited by MrGibbage; Apr 12, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:22 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I didn't have to change any code. Are you sure you're logged in as admin when you go to see it? Did you add the widget to a sidebar?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:53 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hello Mr.Gibbage & PaulaE

I don't have anything to report; just dropping by to express my continuing interest in having the "Admin Links Widget" to install/run successfully.

I'm happy (? ) to hear that someone who has not made the same kind of extensive modifications to index.php that I have is having trouble. Makes me think that the problem and solution will be easier to discover.

I have finally made the upgrade to the newest vers of Atahualpa on my "testing" website so I'll schedule a re-try of this plugin before I re-install all the other widgets.

Jim
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This thread got me curious and I started playing and discovered that like others my ADMIN did not see the plugin, so I delved deeper.

Turns out this is a problem depending on what version of PHP you do the install on. In PHP 4.x it's a problem, with PHP 5.x it works. Using PHP 4.x and a new install of wordpress 2.7.1, the 'user_level' is not created for ADMIN (it is stored in wp-usermeta in the meta_key/meta_value as wp_user_level/10 - where the wp_ is your prefix) however, if you create a new user with 'administrator' rights, they do get a 'user_level' created in the wp_usermeta table. (you can use phpMyAdmin to go look at this)

This would explain why some people see the widget and others don't. If you are using the default ADMIN (even if you renamed it) you won't see the widget, but if you create a new user with admin rights, you will see it.

If you migrate to PHP 5.0 (I did on 1and1 using the .htaccess to run php5) you may or may not have the problem depending on how you migrated.

Simple way to fix it. Create a new user with admin authority, login as that user and change ADMIN to a different role, then change ADMIN back to administrator. This will cause a user_lever of 10 to be created in the usermeta table and everything should be ok.

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 21, 2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: changed the way to fix the problem
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:28 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Wow juggledad! I can't wait to get the chance to try out all you've suggested. Good research!

It's embarrassing to report that I just "discovered" a few days ago that my "test" site was running PHP 5.0 while my live, business (read: important!) site was still on php 4.0. I've submitted a "ticket" with GoDaddy and am waiting to hear from them.

Jim
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:37 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Shepard Jim,
I think you can switch the php version yourself. In godaddy go to your site cpanel. Near the bottom should be a 'Software services' section with a 'PHP configuration' option. Select that then change the option (on the top line where it says
'The ".php" file extension will be processed by' - it defaults to system default, but you can set it to php 5. I think that will do it for you.

If anyone is on 1and1 they can put a .htaccess file in the wordpress root with the line:
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
and that force PHP 5
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:30 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
...<snip>...

If anyone is on 1and1 ....
What means: "on 1and1" ....I swear, just when I think I might know more than 50% of what's going on I hear someone say someone say something I know I've never heard anyone say before!

Yeah, on GoDaddy I could see that I was supposed to be able to up the PHP ver on my own, but that process was "stuck" and I couldn't get it started. The GoDaddy website is the most unfortunate bunch of junk I've ever seen. I have a fairly good cable connection and the GoDaddy site bogs things right down to mostly a standstill.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Sorry, I should have said: 'if anyone is using 1and1.com as their ISP' - I myself use Westhost.net I just happen to be helping someone using 1and1.com and knew what needed to be done, so I thought I'd mention it. (grin)

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 21, 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: new and knew sound the same but can be confusing (oops)
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:34 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
...just to report on my progress

I went back to my GoDaddy Hosting Control Center -- their "Help" instructions say:
"To Change Your Default PHP Language

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
2. In the My Products section, select Hosting.
3. Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Manage Account.
4. In the Content section of the Hosting Control Center, click the Languages icon.
5. Select PHP version you'd like to set as the default.
6. Click Continue.
7. Verify the listed changes, and then click Update."
...sounds simplie. BUT, there is NO "Languages icon" in my "Content section" so I am SOL.

I sent in another request for help. But, GoDaddy really likes you to call them. Their phone people are very helpful and usually knowledgeable, but they do try pretty hard to up-sell you upgrades, other services, etc.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 06:15 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Maybe you should move? Flynn has a list of good hosting companies, and I've been happy with prohosting.com.

I should have remembered the PHP version issue earlier! I had a problem with that very early on myself, before I had even discovered Atahualpa.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 06:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Shepard Jim
See if there is an option to install cpanel for the domain then you just type mydomain.com/cpanel to get to the controls for cpanel. That's how the domain I was looking at was set up. Good luck
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:46 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
...and there I was bad-mouthing the good folks at GoDaddy. I did receive an email response to my second "ticket". Turns out the hosting for www.hatchtown.com was "configuration" 1.0 while that for www.shepherdjim.com was 2.0 (that was the site where PHP 5.0 was already running).

The email from "support" advised that "configuration" 2.0 was required for PHP 5.0 so I put in for it to be upped. They said it might take 24 hrs for the change to propagate through the system. I just checked and the "configuration" showed as 2.1.

I went in, following their instructions, and was immediately able to switch the PHP from 4.0 to 5.0

Now I'm wondering if I should try to increase the www.shepherdjim configuration from plain 2.0 to the 2.1 that is obviously now available. There are advantages between "configuration" 1.0 and 2.0 other than the support for PHP 5.0; they mention 2.0 being set up for Ruby in Rails and a few other things.

I'm not ready to switch hosts. As big as they are, GoDaddy has always been real good to me. I've honestly been amazed at how pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful their phone staff have been over the years. I go back to the good old days when you paid $35.00 a year for domain registration and $25.00 a month to your local ISP for hosting. I was SO HAPPY when I found GoDaddy.

...and besides, as long as I'm with GoDaddy there's always the chance that Danica Patrick will drop by the house.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:55 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
I'm SO HAPPY! My wife Pam's away for the weekend and Danica Patrick just stopped by .....

Truthfully? I am happy! I have finally been able to get the finicky Admin Links Widget (plugin) working on one of my WP/Atahualpa installs.

It has been a long haul! I had to upgrade my hosting configuration (??) with GoDaddy, up my PHP version to 5.0, and then, just this evening, I followed juggledad's suggestions about RE-defining my WP user level as "admin" .....AND it works!

Okay! Pam really is away -- down at the Howard County Fairgrounds just west of Baltimore at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival -- manning a booth at the world's largest sheep and wool festival.

30 years ago, on my own for the weekend, I would have stayed up until the wee hours of the morning writing code in BASIC or dBase. Now, at 58, I'm eating sushi, drinking blueberry lemonade and looking forward to calling it an early night.

Again, thanks to you guys for all the help!