Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

How do I enter shortcode?

Old May 14, 2009, 08:21 PM
LemBook

14 posts · May 2009
California
I'm trying to use the "Free eBay Store" plugin on a page of my LemBook Blog, but I don't know where to enter the code:
<code>[ebay campaignid= "75457963" keywords= "Martin paperback horror true crime" rows= "10" columns= "2" pagination= "yes" vertical= "yes"]</code>

I put it on the page, but only the page title shows up. Nothing seems to connect to eBay. Help?
Old May 14, 2009, 08:54 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You'd put it into a post or page in the WP editor, short codes should work there (but not i.e. in a text widget, by default)
Old May 14, 2009, 10:00 PM
LemBook

14 posts · May 2009
California
Thanks Flynn. I put it in the page edit section, where it doesn't work. Should it go in the "Appearance" editor under "index" or "function" php editors?
Old May 14, 2009, 10:05 PM
LemBook

14 posts · May 2009
California
Maybe I don't understand what store keywords are.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:38 AM
LemBook

14 posts · May 2009
California
I'm trying to use either "Free eBay Store" plugin or the "ebaystore" plugin. Neither one seems to work right.
Old May 16, 2009, 05:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
For give me if I ask questions that seem obvious, but from here, nothing is obvious.
1) are you an ebay affiliate?
20 do you have a campaign set up?
3) did you activate the plugin?
4) the sample code does not show <code> and </code> have you tried it without them?
Old May 16, 2009, 07:12 PM
LemBook

14 posts · May 2009
California
juggledad - Boy, do I feel dumb. I didn't know that "campaign" meant an affiliate campaign. No, I do not have an eBay affiliate campaign. I thought that the campaign ID was just my eBay store id number.
Yes, I did activate the plugin and I've tried it both with and without the <code> commands.
How does the page know which plugin to run? Should I paste the full code for the plugin onto the page? Or is there someway for the page to call the plugin?

I've now downloaded the "Exec-PHP" plugin and I'm trying to get it to work with that. But it still doesn't work.

Last edited by LemBook; May 17, 2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
As I understand it, when you add a plugin to WordPress, WordPress now has more code it executes as it dynamically builds the page to be displayed. The plugin code is going to be looking for 'something', in this case it's probably the '[ebay' and it takes that line of code and transforms it into the actual html/java/whatever code that is needed for the page.

Get rid of the exec-php plugin - it's used if you want to put some PHP code into a text box and have it execute, say you want to code a PHP routine to do something.

Go review the instructions for installing the plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/.../installation/

And make sure your campaign is all set up in ebay - otherwise, how would it know what to display?
Old May 17, 2009, 06:40 PM
LemBook

14 posts · May 2009
California
Actually, I do want php code to run in a text box. I'm pasting all the php code for "Free eBay Store" into a page where I hope it will run. Pages, unlike posts, aren't designed to run code which is why I was trying to use "Exec-PHP."
Maybe, I will go back to listing my eBay items using a sidebar widget instead of on a page.
Wish me luck! Thank you for all your help. Let me know if you can think of anything else.