Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Pulling the trigger: doing it right?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 6, 2009, 05:49 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Pulling the trigger: doing it right?

Later this week, I plan to launch the new WP site. I want to make sure I know what to do. I've read the "Giving Wordpress Its Own Directory" thread over at wordpress.org, and it makes sense, almost. I might need some advice.

Here is what I plan to do:

My new WP site is in a folder called /wp27/. The "old" site is in the root, with index.html as the front page.

I'll delete index.html (copy and save it on my hard drive, of course), and move /wp27/index.php and /wp27/.htaccess to the root. This way, all the old content is still there and searchable, but people will land on index.php if they go to http://www.larchmontgazette.com. I plan to make a user-friendly 404 page at some point, too.

The only thing worrying me now is this bit from the wordpress.com instructions:
Code:
#  Copy the index.php and .htaccess files from the WordPress directory into the root directory of your site (Blog address).
# Open your root directory's index.php file in a text editor
# Change the following and save the file. Change the line that says:
require('./wp-blog-header.php');
to the following, using your directory name for the WordPress core files:
require('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');
This assumes the old site was a PHP site too. Ours is HTML. So I can skip these steps, right?

A refinement that isn't necessary but might be nice: can I simply change /wp27/ to /wp/? I used the 27 (2.7) to prevent confusion while I had 2 other WP folders running during testing of themes. I would rather just have it plain wp, but I'm afraid of possible effects on the database side of things.

Last edited by paulae; Apr 6, 2009 at 05:51 AM.