Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Can't change widgets in sidebars

Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:52 PM
SDcat

4 posts · Nov 2009
Hi, I'm using PHP 5.0, WP 2.8.6, and just upgraded to Atahualpa 3.4.4. I was using the BytesForAll 1.1.1 theme previously.

The new theme seems to be holding onto my sidebar widgets from the old theme... but I can't access them. When I go to the widgets section, it doesn't even show the sidebars on the right like it should. It just lists the basic widgets available but they don't/won't move. My "surviving" sidebar info was created using text widgets but that's not even an option now.

How do I make the widget section usable AND access the widgets the upgrade seems to have held onto?

My site is www.blog.HRjungle.com.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
swap back to the old theme and remove the widgets
next switch back to Atahualpa and see if they are gone and if you can add widgets.

sidebars and widgets are stored in the wordpress db under the NAME of the sidebar. If theme 'A' calls the sidebar 'FOO' and theme 'B calls it 'BAR' there can be some issues
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:24 PM
SDcat

4 posts · Nov 2009
Thanks for the idea but it didn't work. I switched back to the old theme but the widgets page is just the same now as the new theme. Nothing moves and I don't see the sidebars on the widgets page. In fact, the widgets page in both themes looks strange. It's like there's no color. When I put my cursor over a widget, the icon turns into a cross like it's going to move but when I move the cursor it just highlights all the text instead.

I also just tried to manually remove my widgets in the header and footer editor pages but there's nothing there. The code looks normal to me. Except that the left sidebar code seems to show widgets for the categories and to register, but they don't show up on my site.

Any other ideas for getting rid of the old widgets would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SDcat; Nov 23, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:24 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
this is strange. If you swapped back to your old theme, then Atahualpa is out of the picutre. When was the last time you played with widgets before this and hace you done naything (like upgraded WP) since then?

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 27, 2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 01:25 PM
SDcat

4 posts · Nov 2009
Believe me, I know it's strange! I changed a widget in my right sidebar (the sign-up box) within the last 2 weeks because I discovered I hadn't changed the blog's sign-up to go to my new autoresponder service. Last weekend I upgraded to the latest WP version. Then I noticed my header wasn't showing... just a gray box where my header should be. I tried all sorts of things to get the header to show but nothing worked.

Finally I decided to see if there was a new version of my theme since I thought the problem might be a theme that no longer worked well with the latest version of WP. So, I upgraded to Ata 3.4.4. Everything looks good now... except for the permanent, untouchable widgets!

I can see the widget code when I "view source" but not when I look at the header or footer files in editor. Can't figure out how to access those widgets to change them or clear them out. It obviously has something to do with the upgrades but everything but the widgets works fine.

If I have to completely re-do the upgrades, can you tell me how best to save the settings I am currently using so I don't have to start from scratch?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:25 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What version of WP did you upgrade from and to?
What version of Atahualpa were you on?
What version of PHP?

Try disabling al lthe plugins.

You can use phpMyAdmin to export the atahualpa settings (see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ghlight=export)

lso use phpMyAdmin to do a REPAIR and OPTIMIZE all the tables in the database.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
SDcat

4 posts · Nov 2009
FIXED IT! After completely rebuilding the blog, I discovered the problem turned out to be one specific plugin: Google Analyticator. I even made sure I was using the most recent version but every time I activated it, my sidebars disappeared on the widgets page. Deactivating it always brought them back. Could be because this theme has a place to put my Google analytical info in it without using a plugin.

Thanks for your ideas, Juggledad!