Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] left sidebar issue with pages

Old May 30, 2009, 11:02 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ldsmedia
I have tried several things to get my left sidebar not to show a listing of the pages. I do want it to show the archives, email, search recent posts and comments. I removed the check mark from Page (pages) and the category pages and it did not work. I then tried removing the check mark from Home page and that makes the side bar disappear altogether. I also tried removing the check mark from just the Home page. I currently have my blog's front page set up to show posts not the Home page.

I used WP version 2.7.1 and Atahualpa 3.3.3

Thanks anyone for your help.

Flynn if you read this, maybe you should ask that people donate per question or per month for the forum separately from the donation for the theme. There are some car repair guys on the web that do that. The higher your donation the faster and more complete your answer is. Since you seem to spend a good amount of time on the forum, this seems only fair. Freebies are great and we all appreciate them, but every body needs to pay for shelter and food, etc.
Old May 31, 2009, 06:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'm a little confused. Are you trying to remove the entire left sidebar from certain pages or are you trying to prevent certain widgets, in the left sidebar, from showing up on certain pages?

If you use the 'LEFT sidebar: Display on:' and/or 'LEFT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:' options, that will effect the entire sidebar - i.e. it will be there in it;s entirety or gone in its entirety

what's your url?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 09:36 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
I thought I was very specific about what I wanted, but I guess I assume that everyone wants every page to look the same, I always like familiarity. I guess I forget that some other people don't always want every page to look the same. Any way, I do want the same left sidebar on all of my pages, I just don't want the static pages showing up on the left side bar as there are many of them and they already show up on the menu bar.

If you want to see what I mean, the url is www.natureshealthsolutions.org

Thanks Juggledad. Are you a forum moderator? It's nice that Flynn has some help.

Laura
Old Jun 2, 2009, 03:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The 'Pages' widget is a WordPress standard widget, not part of the Atahualpa theme. To change it's features would mean looking at it's code, however...

why not try Flexi Pages widget (http://srinig.com/wordpress/plugins/flexi-pages/) a replacement for the 'Pages' widget.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:36 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
I find this kind of confusing I guess because I didn't both with the WordPress settings. I just went straight to the Atahualpa options page. Does this require that you configure something in WordPress first?

Also, I didn't think about it at first, but maybe the static pages don't show the left sidebar but the front page which is my blog content does. I didn't think about that at first.

I finally got paid today, so a donation will be on its way.

Thanks Jugglehead for all of your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
The 'Pages' widget is a WordPress standard widget, not part of the Atahualpa theme. To change it's features would mean looking at it's code, however...

why not try Flexi Pages widget (http://srinig.com/wordpress/plugins/flexi-pages/) a replacement for the 'Pages' widget.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It can be a bit confusing. Think of it this way, the Atahualpa options effect the look of your site, but the Wordpress options control the actions of your site (of course, there is some overlap)

You don't need Atahualpa to add static pages to a Wordpress blog, just to see, switch themes to the default theme (don't worry, you won't loose anyof your WordPress settings)

As Wordpress has matured, all sorts of features were added, like widgets. The coders made it possible for other coders to make little chuncks of code that would do 'something' like, display the pages in the site, display a calendar, let you display 'links' and on and on (just do a google search using 'Wordpress widget' to see some.

One of the included widgets you get when installing WordPress is the 'Pages' widget. It displays the pages and subpages in your site. But someone didn't like it and wrote another one, that gives you more control (the 'Flexi Pages' widget). Once you download, install it, and activate it and add the new widget to the sidebar, you will have options in the widget that will control how it acts.

None of this is Atahualpa's doing, because if you look back, we swapped to the default theme. But now you can swap back to Atahualpa and you will see your new sidebar widget and you can play with it's options and display or not display the pages you wish. (Note you don't have to swap themes, I just wanted to show you that the widgets are not part of Atahualpa with the exception of the BFA_xxxxxxx widgets, which will only show up in the widgets options when you've selected the Atahualpa theme.)

I hope this makes it a little less confusing.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:37 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
I never had any problem creating static pages. I just want them to show up on the top pages menu bar and not on the left side bar. But I do want the other options on the left sidebar.

I have downloaded multi flex and activated it. I set it to exclude all pages except home and about. However, there was another option below that to display just home. What I ended up with was the left side still has all of my pages included plus now there is a Pages area at the bottom of the left sidebar which also lists those two pages. I guess I will try one more thing. I will try to tell it to include only those two pages and see what happens.

It look like you can exclude pages either with WordPress or Atahualpa options but you need the page ids for that. I can't find what Flynn was talking about when he said go to site admin/manage/pages.

Last edited by ldsmedia; Jun 2, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Couldn't remember the exact set up
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:52 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Do I need to exclude the pages I do not want to show up on either or both the WP widget and the Atahualpa theme options?

I simply want everything on the left sidebar that I have except my static pages (with the exception of home and about) and I would like this sidebar to show up on my static pages so that visitors can easily jump around if they so choose. I notice that the right sidebar shows up on all pages, but the left only shows up on the front/blog page.

Is that clearer?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:21 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It looks like you didn't remove the 'Pages' widget from the left sidebar. (Dashboard->Appearances->Widigets on the right side of the screen, locate the 'Pages' widget (should in the column under the title 'Current Widigits') click 'Edit', click 'Remove', then click 'Save Changes' at the bottom of the 'Current Widgets' column

As for the sidebars showing up/not showing up. go to ATO->Sidebars
the option: 'LEFT sidebar: Display on:' controls what pages you will display the side bar on
teh option: LEFT sidebar: Don't display on Pages: is used to identify static pages you don't want it displayed on - so if you created a page called 'Coffee' but didn't want the sidebar there, then you find the id of the page (read the notes on the page) and enter that number in this option

Same holds true for the right sidebar.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 03:21 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Thank you Thank you. It's all starting to make sense now. Yeah it works. I have what I want.
I hope the $5 donation I sent helps. I also hope others feel free to send one. If you are really stumped, $1 a question is very reasonable. I know some say they can't afford it, but that is always a matter of opinion and faith in yourself.

Any way, I gladly pay because when I have gone to the WP forum, I have had some really snide nasty people give me vague answers and tell me that I should read all of the stuff at WP codex (I think that's what it is called). Any way, just avoiding that crap makes me really happy.

Thanks for being such a great person and making it easy to understand. Patient people can be a rare find and I really appreciate them.

Last edited by ldsmedia; Jun 2, 2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: named a WP page incorrectly