Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Widget container at the bottom of certain pages

Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:42 PM
lakewooditsupport

48 posts · Jun 2011
England, United Kingdom
I have been tweaking my site over the last few days and have been trying to work on the layout and navigation.

I have diabled the sidebars and want to put what was in the sidebars at the bottom of the page, the thing is I don't want this on all pages and I also don't want it in the footer.

I want a section at the bottom of the page where I can insert div boxes.

See here: http://lakewooditsupport.co.uk/servi...ackup-recovery

I have to create these areas at the bottom of each page now and its a pain, what I want is a widget area where I can put these boxes and just exclude pages I don't want it to show on.

I'm not sure what code I need to use to create the widgets I need or where to put it (I assume below the loop), also how do I exclude it from certain pages?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
See ATO>Add new widget areas for how to create new widget areas. To exclude widgets from certain pages there are several plugins that can help with that such as Display Widgets.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:02 PM
lakewooditsupport

48 posts · Jun 2011
England, United Kingdom
I have coded this widget

Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=navigation_footer&cells=5&align=8&align_2=1&align_3=4align_4=4&align_5=2&width_4=940&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="navigation_footer">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
I inserted it below the loop and it hasn't worked no widgets were created.

What I wanted was 4 widgets boxes spreading the width of the page then one above that in a single widget box that spans the width of the page.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:42 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Here is your code
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=navigation_footer&cells=5&align=8&align_2=1&align_3=4align_4=4&align_5=2&width_4=940&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="navigation_footer">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
Here is what I would use for a four celled widget area whose content is aligned top center.

HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Navigation Footer&cells=4&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="navigation_footer %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:28 AM
lakewooditsupport

48 posts · Jun 2011
England, United Kingdom
That seems to have worked, its created the widget elements. But they don't appear on the page? I've selected them to appear on the page and they don't?

Also the insert you gave me have made 9 widget areas called navigation_footer 1-5 and Navigation Footer 1-4 ??
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you go back and read what lmilesw wrote, hi showed you what YOU had and what HE would use. So you wouldn't use BOTH just one.

after you remove one of the lines, remember to delete the widget areas in the ato->New Widget area

also, did you put any widgets into the new widget areas?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:47 AM
lakewooditsupport

48 posts · Jun 2011
England, United Kingdom
Yes I did put widgets in the new areas, sorry for being so vague about it.

Okay what I did was set the width for the first widget and let the rest resize appropriately. This seems to be working perfectly in firefox I will try it in IE.

Thanks so much guys!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:48 AM
ctabor1

5 posts · Nov 2010
Clearwater, FL
Smile Footer and Widget Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Here is your code
HTML Code:
Here is what I would use for a four celled widget area whose content is aligned top center.

HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Navigation Footer&cells=4&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="navigation_footer %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
HI lmilesw... and thank you for your assistance on the forum!

I had been looking for help on configuring a footer to contain 3-4 widgets, and ran across your reply to someone else.
Your code helped with that... thank you.

I am fairly new to WP and the ATA theme so need assistance on occasion. I am using the previous version of ATA. I am afraid to update due to possibility of things "breaking" and me not having a clue how to fix!

ANYWAY... I took the "original" footer code from my ATA footer which contained the following and had been displayed the full width...and was trying to put the info into one of the widgets...

Original code: %home%, LLC | 1381 Boston Post Road | Old Saybrook CT 06475 | 860.943.0031</strong><br/>
<a href="http://www.pursuitathleticperformance.com/contact-us-email#location">Click for Map and Directions</a>>><br/><br/>
</b>Copyright &copy; %current-year% Pursuit Athletic Performance, LLC - All Rights Reserved

SO... I dragged an Advanced Text Widget into the #4 widget that came about from your code and pasted same as above... and of course it didn't work... so for the interim, I just have text and some html tags...

BUT... is it possible to move that same original footer php into the advanced text widget and have it work? I added the <?php at the front of it and this at the end... ; ?> but it didn't make any difference. I do not know or understand php very well, so it was a wild guess on my part.

So, would be curious for future... how I would have remedied...

ALSO... how would I be able to change it from (4) to (3) widgets?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Christine

P.S. FYI, the footer in question is here: http://www.pursuitathleticperformance.com

Last edited by ctabor1; Sep 2, 2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: To assure I'm subscribed to this
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That isn't PHP code, mostly HTML and the %home% and %current-year% won't work in a widget. I would replace the %home% with your site name and replace %current-year% with 2011 (you will of course need to remember to change it every year. You could hyperlink your site name if you want but I see no purpose in that. So the code you would put in the widget would be...
HTML Code:
Pursuit Athletic Performance, LLC | 1381 Boston Post Road | Old Saybrook CT 06475 | 860.943.0031</strong><br/>
<a href="http://www.pursuitathleticperformance.com/contact-us-email#location">Click for Map and Directions</a>>><br/><br/>
</b>Copyright &copy; 2011 Pursuit Athletic Performance, LLC - All Rights Reserved
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:53 PM
ctabor1

5 posts · Nov 2010
Clearwater, FL
Quote:
That isn't PHP code, mostly HTML and the %home% and %current-year% won't work in a widget. I would replace the %home% with your site name and replace %current-year% with 2011 (you will of course need to remember to change it every year. You could hyperlink your site name if you want but I see no purpose in that. So the code you would put in the widget would be...
HTML Code:
Pursuit Athletic Performance, LLC | 1381 Boston Post Road | Old Saybrook CT 06475 | 860.943.0031</strong><br/>
</b>Copyright &copy; 2011 Pursuit Athletic Performance, LLC - All Rights Reserved
Thanks... that is almost exactly what I ended up doing.

My only other question is if I only wanted (3) widgets to fill the area instead of (4)...
And/or a completely different widget set of 3 or 4 across the bottom, but still retain the footer as it originally was... or with some 3-4 widgets of it's own...

I tried to read through the "adding widgets" part of the ATA settings... but got lost.
Any assistance appreciated!

Christine
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:55 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Just change cells=4 to cells=3. The code is pretty logical once you wrap your head around it.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:00 PM
ctabor1

5 posts · Nov 2010
Clearwater, FL
Quote:
Just change cells=4 to cells=3. The code is pretty logical once you wrap your head around it.
Yes, that makes sense. Sometimes I just have to step back a look at it in smaller pieces... javascript is like that to me, too!

Thanks, Larry! I hope you have a great Labor Day weekend!

Christine

P.S. I have another question, but not sure where to post it... I am using the built in image rotater, and I like it, but cannot find anywhere to add alt tags to the images... is it possible to do so?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Nothing in the theme options. I have used various plugins that allow me to do that. One I like is the Cimy Header Image Rotator. It give you some code you can put in place of %image.