Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Unwanted display of plugins in right sidebar

Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:45 PM
Chester

21 posts · Jun 2009
Hi, I'm still on 3.3.3. and I'm experiencing the same problem as I had long ago on another 3 column theme.

Some of the plugins, like Social News Nederland and the famous Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP) display their results or icons at the bottom of every article.

Irritating enough they also show up in an ugly way on the right sidebar!
Again, Atahualpa doesn't seem to be the only one with this problem, so it might be plugin related. Still, I'm looking for the code to change to stop it showing up.
I'll give you an example: http://salek.nl/blog/2009/06/geld-ui...-goede-doelen/
You will find 3 related articles at the end of the article. Somehow the also show up on the right sidebar while no one put it there!

Any suggestions other then disabling those plugins?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This seems more like a plugin setting issue. The part in the sidebar is wrapped into widget code, it is a widget that the plugin appears to provide and seems to have placed there. Can't you remove that widget when at WP Admin -> Appearance -> Widgets?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:45 PM
Chester

21 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Flynn,

No, it is no widget. As a matter of fact, one of those problem-plugins does not even have a widget option but it still show in the sidebar.

If only I understand what code to look for (either in the plugin or template), for it not to appear there...

For instance, if it would be a real widget, at least the title etc. would show up in the correct lettertype and color etc. that is just regarded in these cases...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:33 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This appears to be a multiple loops issue but I am not sure what triggers this. Try deleting the default content in the right sidebar, see footer.php

<div class="widget"><div class="widget-title">
<h3>Recent Posts</h3></div><div class="widget-content">
<?php $r = new WP_Query(array(
'showposts' => 20,
'what_to_show' => 'posts',
'nopaging' => 0,
'post_status' => 'publish',
'caller_get_posts' => 1));
if ($r->have_posts()) : ?>
<ul>
<?php while ($r->have_posts()) : $r->the_post(); ?>
<li><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>"><?php if ( get_the_title() ) the_title(); else the_ID(); ?> </a></li>
<?php endwhile; ?>
</ul>
<?php wp_reset_query(); // Restore global post data stomped by the_post().
endif; ?>
</div></div>

<?php wp_list_bookmarks('category_before=&category_after =&title_before=<h3>&title_after=</h3></div><div class="widget-content">'); ?>
</div></div>

<h3><?php _e('Meta','atahualpa'); ?></h3>
</div><div class="widget-content">
<ul>
<?php wp_register(); ?>
<li><?php wp_loginout(); ?></li>
<li><a href="http://wordpress.org/" title="
<?php _e('Powered by WordPress, state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.','atahualpa'); ?>">
<?php _e('WordPress','atahualpa'); ?></a></li>
<?php wp_meta(); ?>
</ul>
</div></div>

It contains a new Loop query new WP_Query but this default content should not be active because you dropped widgets into the right sidebar.

Also try rearranging the order of widgets and disabling plugins one by one.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:11 AM
Chester

21 posts · Jun 2009
This problem almost caused me a heart attack.
There's another plugin called Social News Nederland which adds some icons to the bottom of articles, which are the Dutch represantatives for del.icio.us and other social sites.

Becuase it places these icons at the same ugly location in the right column as well, even in the previous 3 column theme I used to use, I made it a habbit of just switching it on to place the article in the various sites myself and then turn it off again until someone would fix that.

I upgraded to the latest atahualpa theme already, but the problem I describe happens in all versions; activating this plugin works well, but as soon as I set the standard setting 'place icons at automatic locations' (which usually would make them appear at the bottom of every article AND in the annoying location oin the right column) in atahualpa causes a blank screen with the message: Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/.../public_html/wp-content/plugins/social_news_nl/social_news_nl.php:1) in /home/.../public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 865

Wow, did I just loose my entire website? I managed with ftp to switch off that setting and upload the conf file for that plugin, and reloaded the admin page. Fortunately everything turned back to normal.

Will you people stop scaring me? hehe.

I tried moving around the widgets on the right toolbar, but that function doesn't seem to work in atahualpa, and just causes and 'error on page' in explorer anyway. It doesn't move around the widget and just sits there spinning it's 'waiting....' icon.

So, unless I swtich them off, both Social News Nederland and YARPP cause there stuff to show up in 2 locations.

I removed the text you mentioned above, doesn't make a difference I'm afraid.