Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Image size?

Old Dec 6, 2009, 06:23 PM
babytoes30

3 posts · Dec 2009
I have some images I want to use, but I cannot find anywhere what size they need to be. I think all I have to do to get them to work in the code is to upload them to my cPanel. If I am wrong about this let me know. I realize I have to change the names of the pictures in the CSS. I am working to that. But my first priority is to photoshop the pictures so they are the right size.

Thanks!!

Jessica
Old Dec 6, 2009, 07:36 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Which pictures are you talking about?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 08:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you are going to use teh images in your header, then the width and height depend on how big you want your page to be. If you want to use the image in a post, you can use the media tools built into wordpress (dashboard->media). Try to keep the file size to less than 100kb to keep the site speedy.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:21 PM
babytoes30

3 posts · Dec 2009
I was speaking of the images I would like to rotate in the header. I guess I was wondering about photoshop size. Since I need to resize them in photoshop, I was concerned with the inches or pixel size in order to keep them looking stellar.

Thanks
Jessica
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:23 PM
babytoes30

3 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
If you are going to use teh images in your header, then the width and height depend on how big you want your page to be. If you want to use the image in a post, you can use the media tools built into wordpress (dashboard->media). Try to keep the file size to less than 100kb to keep the site speedy.
I would like to keep the page a normal size.... whatever that is??? So I dont want them to blast out all over the place! I am so new to doing all of this it is scary!

Jessica
Old Dec 7, 2009, 07:21 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
What I do is set the width of my page to no more than 900px. That way people with even old monitors won't have to scroll and I don't like fluid layout because it can mess with layout unless you are careful. Also fluid layout will cause some of your banner picture to be cut off if the person resizes too small. With that said in Photoshop I do the following.
  1. Open the picture I want to use but make sure it is at least as wide as the banner size
  2. Crop it to the desired dimensions. In my case I crop to 905 in x 165 in. I'm using "in" instead of "px" at this point and adding 5 to the desired size for a little overflow
  3. Tweak the picture as needed
  4. In Photoshop go to File>Save for web and devices
  5. Select the format you want to use (usually jpg - medium) and click Save
I would suggest doing all of this after saving your original picture in psd format.

I hope that helps as it is kind of hard to describe processes like this without show and tell.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:40 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Take a look at my site http://zenofmud.org - the max width is 1440 and that is how wide my images are. They are also 250px high. I make sure to save them at a much lower quality so the file size is about 50-100k

The tough thing is to realize that you have to look at your images in a new way short and wide so that closeups don't work very well you need to have distance shot that you can crop.