Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Is it against the gpl license terms to remove credits?

Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:17 AM
marc

9 posts · Sep 2009
i.e Copyright © 2009 Oskabrunnur - All Rights Reserved
Powered by WordPress & the Atahualpa WP Theme by BytesForAll. Now with Tutorials & Support
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
there are directions for removing the credits in the gold forum

Quote:
As a Gold or Diamond Donor, feel free (legally and morally) to remove the credit links in the footer of Atahualpa.

Please keep in mind a copyright still exists, and remains with me. The copyright/author remarks in the source code of the various theme files, i.e. in style.css, cannot be removed.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:18 AM
marc

9 posts · Sep 2009
If you do not need instruction, are you legally free to remove the credits. I am a bit confused about the license.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:20 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
The theme is free to use, but if you want to know how to remove the credit in the footer, you need to donate, and then you'll have access to the Gold section, where you'll find instructions for removal of the credit.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
marc

9 posts · Sep 2009
So if you dont need instructions on how to do it then you can just do it then?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:05 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I believe you must make a donation to be allowed to remove the footer.

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 25, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:26 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Nobody is stopping you. But I feel that when somebody (Flynn) has put in so much blood, sweat and tears into producing something as valuable as this theme, he ought to be rewarded financially. And Juggledad has been a great help, answering so many questions here in the forum; he also deserves to be compensated.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
marc

9 posts · Sep 2009
Well I am confused .

If the theme is supposed to be open source then according to the gpl license as I understand it , it can be modified in any way the user sees fit as long as the derived work is distributed according to the same gpl license.

This all seems a little bizarre to me . Fine, the guys deserve to get paid. Why distribute using an open source gpl license though? Why dont they distribute with a more restrictive end user agreement or license?

As I see it the author has no right insinuating that a fee should be paid to remove the credits.

It is kind of strange as it stands that the product has no documentation and that questions regarding the theme probably wont be answered unless you donate.

Actually , this piece of software is not complex enough for this to be a significant barrier to its use, it is just kind of weird, although i can see that the author needs to eat. I might note that I havent actually encountered this kind of compensation scheme before.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:32 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Atahualpa is GPL with no strings attached. You can remove the credit links. You wouldn't be the first one to do that, and I will have no hard feelings. I ask for a donation from those who want help with the credit links. Donors get more attention obviously, and in the future I'll make it a point to favor donors even more.

Your remarks about "no support without donation" are a bit unfair considering the enormous amount of time I and Juggledad have put into free support in the past months. See our post counts? Many of these posts took 10, 20, 30, 40 minutes and many of them were for non-donors.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:47 AM
marc

9 posts · Sep 2009
My comments regarding being a sponsor maybe were somewhat unfair. I do feel though that if you provide no documentation and at the present time you are concentrating on answering questions from sponsors then people who are just beginning with the theme are slightly disadvantaged. Of course you have in the past provided plenty of free support and are perhaps rather overwhelmed and you must prioritize your time.

Thankyou for the clear answer to the original question. Some of the other answers were dancing around the subject somewhat, and i just wanted clarification. Sorry for any offence caused.

Last edited by marc; Sep 18, 2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Please explain what you mean with "dancing around the subject"
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:15 AM
marc

9 posts · Sep 2009
Well , I was asking a straightforward question that was answered unclearly until your posted your reply.

I was asking if i was free to remove the credits and i was being advised that if i donate i could gain access to the gold forum to receive instructions etc.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:28 AM
owenl

44 posts · Jan 2009
marc - this is silly - and you are being silly. The GPL is a legal issue - you got your answer (and you got it the first time). You just aren't liking the point people are making that donations help. Despite the reminders that donations help get support, in fact all questions get answered if they can be answered. I personally did NOT donate to get support. I donated because I felt Flynn deserved it for what he was doing in continually upgrading and improving a free theme. Flynn and juggledad work hard to answer all the questions here - including those from people who did not pay. Other forum members chip in as they feel like it.