Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Feedback

Old May 18, 2011, 11:26 AM
muychingon

17 posts · Apr 2009
Irvine, Orange County
Help Feedback

I know we have a Showing off Thread that showcases some of the really great designs people have come up with. But Is there a "feedback" thread?

I was thinking about a thread or even a room where we can just ask for other people's feedback on a site we might be working on. I think this is different than the showing off because it could have lnks that aren't the final destination of a website. It would be when we are really looking for "maybe you should try this plugin" or "reduce the heading font size a little" or "the colors are too bright" type of thing.

I looked for this but did not find it. Mods... Any thoughts on this?
Old May 18, 2011, 04:42 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I just changed the title of this thread to Feedback... Now you have a thread. Go for it and see what happens.
Old May 20, 2011, 01:00 AM
muychingon

17 posts · Apr 2009
Irvine, Orange County
Thank you lmilesw.

First one up I guess.

dev site is at http://drwalton.seoexcell.com - thoughts? commentary etc? Thank you.

ps. You give me your feedback I'll give you mine.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:46 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You need padding on your pages such as "About". Also on that same page the image with the rounded corners should be a transparent png so the white corners don't show.

Overall I like the clean look however.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:33 AM
muychingon

17 posts · Apr 2009
Irvine, Orange County
Oh yeah! thank you. I was focusing on the front page for now but thanks for the reminder on the padding...

As for the images, yes, I'll make it a transparent png, what are the thoughts on just using a jpg with rounded corners and matching corner background? like I did in some of the images in the front page? seems like pngs for images tend to be much larger than the equivalent jpg version...
Old May 20, 2011, 10:30 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by muychingon
As for the images, yes, I'll make it a transparent png, what are the thoughts on just using a jpg with rounded corners and matching corner background? like I did in some of the images in the front page? seems like pngs for images tend to be much larger than the equivalent jpg version...
That would certainly work in your instance and keep the sizes down. I would recommend a lower quality jpg however. You could drop that image from about 62k to under 10k by lowering the quality to about 30% without affecting how it looks much at all.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:13 PM
NMF

3 posts · Sep 2010
muychingon- I agree with Imilesw about the white corners on the photo. I like the neatness of the layout, the colors go together well.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
muychingon

17 posts · Apr 2009
Irvine, Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF
muychingon- I agree with Imilesw about the white corners on the photo. I like the neatness of the layout, the colors go together well.
Yes, and I've just ran into this issue where the client wants to see a few different background colors and I have to redo the images with the colors in the corners... going for transparent pngs from now on.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:36 PM
bigjim5551212

4 posts · May 2011
Any tips for our website.

Take a look at www.overseas-auto.com and let me know what tips you can give for improvement. I am somewhat of a WP Newb but am learning.
Old May 23, 2011, 06:01 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
@bigjim5551212
A personal preference is to have a static width site. I would also use a shorter title for the site and use an SEO plugin if that is why you have the long title.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
NMF

3 posts · Sep 2010
bigjim5551212-I wonder about adding categories for navigation. Just personal preference on my part, but I have never been a fan of long pages. The orange color works well; it gets your attention, but not overpowering.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:11 PM
bigjim5551212

4 posts · May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF
bigjim5551212-I wonder about adding categories for navigation. Just personal preference on my part, but I have never been a fan of long pages. The orange color works well; it gets your attention, but not overpowering.
You mean categories instead of page information?
Old May 25, 2011, 11:17 AM
muychingon

17 posts · Apr 2009
Irvine, Orange County
@bigjim5551212 I agree with lmilesw about the title. it is really long so it takes up a lot of space.

Also a nod to the width... It doesn't look too great on my screen on my laptop and the same goes on my big screen. What I usually do is look at Google analytics and see what my visitors are using for that particular site and I cater to the largest group and then try to make it good for the rest. I'm a fan of fixed width, but a combo of max width and min width might do the trick for you if you want it flexible.

The orange and red I don't know if they go together so well. Try using adobe's kuler tool or one of the many color combination ones out there (not like I'm a color expert or anything).

And the contact tab on the left --to me-- is a bit intrusive, I usually prefer a fixed "contact" page or box or call to action somewhere on the page over these tabs. In your case, as I scroll down the page it actually covers up the menus and that's why I noticed it.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:24 PM
NMF

3 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5551212
You mean categories instead of page information?
I just wondered if you could turn your product lines (engine performance, suspension products, etc) into categories. They could go in the sidebar like your pages or as a horizontal menu to give viewers of your site a quick reference to your products. However, (not knowing much about car parts ) the vertical placement may be essential to your site and what you are trying to do.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:49 PM
bigjim5551212

4 posts · May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF
I just wondered if you could turn your product lines (engine performance, suspension products, etc) into categories. They could go in the sidebar like your pages or as a horizontal menu to give viewers of your site a quick reference to your products. However, (not knowing much about car parts ) the vertical placement may be essential to your site and what you are trying to do.
Yes, i was thinking about this today. I would like to get rid of the "pages" on the left sidebar. Then have a drop down of categories on the top.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
muychingon

17 posts · Apr 2009
Irvine, Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5551212
Take a look at www.overseas-auto.com and let me know what tips you can give for improvement. I am somewhat of a WP Newb but am learning.
Besides my feedback... its a learning experience and you'll get the hang of it. Don't be discouraged if you can't get it right the first time. It takes time and patience.