Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » ThemeFrame Presales »

How will bugs that make their way into a theme be addressed?

Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:12 PM
mdmower

76 posts · Jul 2010
Missouri, USA
How will bugs that make their way into a theme be addressed?

I'm on the fence for ThemeFrame. One question plagues me:

Suppose you create "Theme A" with ThemeFrame. Some bugs make their way into the code of "Theme A". You later update ThemeFrame with a new version that addresses those bugs. Will ThemeFrame be able to detect the offending code in "Theme A" and fix them automatically?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:13 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
This would depend on the nature of the "bug" and the "fix". The intent is always make changes that will not break things but that is not always possible.

The only thing I can say is I am not concerned at all about the scenario you mentioned as I test major updates in a test environment (which any developer should have IMHO) and if something breaks I deal with it in whatever way possible.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:22 PM
mdmower

76 posts · Jul 2010
Missouri, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
This would depend on the nature of the "bug" and the "fix". The intent is always make changes that will not break things but that is not always possible.

The only thing I can say is I am not concerned at all about the scenario you mentioned as I test major updates in a test environment (which any developer should have IMHO) and if something breaks I deal with it in whatever way possible.
My question might be addressing a different scenario than you're describing. Mine question is more analogous to the bugfixes that show up for Atahualpa from time to time, and not about major ThemeFrame revisions breaking an old theme.

Suppose a small bug makes its way into a theme created by ThemeFrame (e.g. every letter "q" shows up italicized... just as a stupid example). The developer realizes ThemeFrame is responsible for putting this bug into themes, and makes a .01 revision to address the problem.

Is it then my responsibility to fix the code in the theme by hand, or will ThemeFrame be able to detect these small bugfixes? [Clearly, I do not yet understand the extent to which code will be similar between themes created by ThemeFrame]
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:26 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I would certainly HOPE that this would be the case and will try to get more info for you.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:51 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Small bugs will usually not require manual edits, you should be able to just export a new theme with the new TF version, based on the old settings file
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:37 PM
mdmower

76 posts · Jul 2010
Missouri, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
you should be able to just export a new theme with the new TF version, based on the old settings file
That makes perfect sense, thanks for the response.