Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Embedding Fonts

Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
juliegd1

4 posts · Aug 2009
I use a font called Andy extensively thhroughout my blog, thefamilyjules.com. I discovered my font issue when I accessed the site from a computer that didn't have the font installed. I found an embedded font solution that looks somewhat promising. Microsoft has a utility called WEFT (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/WEFT.mspx). It converts non-standard fonts to vector images and creates a font.eot file, in this case Andy.eot. Then "WEFT adds a STYLE section to the HEAD tag of each HTML page that uses one or more font object. The code added conforms to the current W3C CSS2 specification." The next step is for WEFT to replace all of the HTML pages with copies that incorporate the font code. I didn't do it because I was pretty certain that would be a mess. There is an option to copy and paste the code yourself. This is the code the utility generated:

http://thefamilyjules.com/?page_id=2

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!-- /* $WEFT -- Created by: David Daugherty () on 8/30/2009 -- */
@font-face {
font-family: Andy;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: 700;
src: url(ANDY1.eot);
}
@font-face {
font-family: andy;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(ANDY1.eot);
}
-->
</STYLE>

I had to use the http://thefamilyjules.com/?page-id=2 when WEFT scanned the site for fonts because the main page kept crashing the utility. It still scanned and created the appropriate So I'm sure that lead site should actually be http://thefamilyjules.com/.

I can't find any place within the theme configuration where I can paste this code and have it work. Although the forum constantly references pasting html code into the documents, I can't figure out how to access them. Also, all of the theme templates that are editable are php files and don't appear to have any html in them anywhere.

I'm pretty certain that my noob status is apparent. I'm certain that this is a simple thing if you know what you're doing...I don't.

thoughts? suggestions?

I did make a modest donation as the theme is excellent and the forum is really useful. I promise to make a large donation once I'm working again.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
That technology will only work with a static website. Wordpress dynamically serves the web pages and they can change from moment to moment, so I don't beleive this is a solution that is going to work.

You can specify a family of fonts using 'font-family: tahoma, arial, sans-serif;'

besides, WETF only works with IE (Per the WETF page)
Quote:
What if the page visitor isn't using IE?

Depending on the browser used and the fonts installed, they will see text displayed in either the second choice font specified by the page or their default font.
you could try a CSS solution http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/css_no15.htm but you are at teh mercy of the browser the user views the page with.

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 30, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:37 PM
BradBrown

54 posts · Mar 2009
I am currently implementing a font replacement technology on a new Atahualpa site. I have done some research, and tested out a few options.

You should be aware that there are licensing issues in embedding fonts. To legally embed most fonts on a webpage, you'll need to pay for an extended license.

@font-face will work on a dynamic site, but only on IE.

I am playing around with Cufon, which is simple and works in all major browsers, as long as they have Javascript enabled.

Another option to consider is Flir. It is pretty simple to implement, because there is a plugin to do the work for you. If you go this route, there is a minor incompatibility with ATA's CSS. It will cause all the replaced text to have a grey background. A simple CSS insert will correct this.

Here is a page I found useful in investigating text replacement options: http://www.dezinerfolio.com/2009/03/...ment-solutions

By the way--in answer to your original question, go to the ATA options. There is a section called Add HTML/CSS Inserts. There's a field there for CSS inserts. That's where your CSS would go. Anything you put there will be added to every page.

Last edited by BradBrown; Aug 30, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:59 AM
juliegd1

4 posts · Aug 2009
Thanks for the suggetion BradBrown. Unfortunately, my noob is showing. Any time I try something innovative, I completely screw up a bunch of other stuff. I'v chosen to go the simple route on this and simply insert images for the places I consider most critical and have chosen, for now, to use a standard web font for the rest.

I'll check out your suggestions. If my site goes down or looks like hell, you'll know I'm trying it out.