Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Best way to have mutible pages/posts

Old Apr 28, 2009, 03:49 PM
Jerry

65 posts · Feb 2009
The beautiful Pacific Northwest USA
Hi this question is for anyone (not just Flynn, he's a busy man after all!) I'm just getting ready to start adding content to a site I'm making. I'll have a page "vitamins" with pages under it for vitamin A, B,C, ect.
I'm wondering what would be the best way to set this up.
Have the main pages listed and when you click on them have the sub-pages listed there? Or use the drop down tabs, my concern being the number of sub-pages under "herbs" for instance, being maybe 100 or so. I.ve been at this for a while but sometimes I feel very noobish still!
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 04:09 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
If you put all this into the drop down menu then all pages would be linked from all pages, which may not be what you want from a SEO perspective, unless you DO want to spread the link juice evenly across all pages, and not hierarchically.

I made a theme a while back with a traditional "you only see the sub pages when on the parent page" navigation but it was hard to do this with more than 2 levels while highlighting the parent and the grand parent page, etc. But there are probably plugins that can do this.

This traditional type of navigation (not drop down) can make a lot of sense for both SEO and usability reasons but creating a nice navigation for this is not easy in Wordpress.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
Jerry

65 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn,
How is life treating you? Good I hope! Thanks for your response.
I plan on only having two levels, the parent page "vitamins" and than one level of sub-pages "vitamin A", "vitamin B", ect. I'm thinking having the parent pages in the menu bar at the top of the home page, and having links to the various sub-pages only on the parent pages would make the most sense. I hadn't even thought about a seo disadvantage. I plan on building links (article marketing mostly) to most every page, in time. I figured I would have a static home page and explain how to navigate the site. What exactly are the ramifications of this, from a seo standpoint?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 07:27 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It's not necessarily a SEO disadvantage as such, but with a drop down menu containing all 100+ links, all these links would be linked from every page (since every page contains the drop down menu), leading to a relatively equal share of internal links for each one of the 100+ pages. If you want to give each page the same share of internal links then this is fine.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 08:11 PM
Jerry

65 posts · Feb 2009
Thanks for the info Flynn.