Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

Filter next/previous navigation by category

Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:22 AM
garyrw

3 posts · Sep 2009
Is there a way to filter the next/previous navigation so that when you read a full post, only posts in that category show up in the navigation?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What would want to do if the post was in multiple categories?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:50 AM
garyrw

3 posts · Sep 2009
For this particular site that's not an issue. Can it be done?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
it looks like the theme is using the standard WordPress nav code (wp-inlcudes/link-template.php)
so you might be able to hack at that and change how it is getting the next and previous links
Old Oct 9, 2009, 07:16 PM
joan

50 posts · Sep 2009
Brisbane, Qld, Aust
Hello JuggleDad
What a job you've got processing all these queries!
I think this thread is something like the problem I'm having with Ata navigation and multiple post categories.

When a post has multiple categories, the bfa_navigation code chooses the 'default' category (with the lowest ID). Choosing any other category from the site menubar (other than the default) means that the navigation does not show the other posts in that category.

I'm using the latest version of everything, and have tried "sCategory Permalink" to change the default category, but to no avail. Is there any modification I can make to Atahualpa ?

Kind regards.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 07:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Are you trying to say that if you browse a category, the next/previous could take you into a new category?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:30 PM
joan

50 posts · Sep 2009
Brisbane, Qld, Aust
If I use the Category menu bar and choose say, COUNTRY->India, I will get a list of say 7 posts. If I click a post title, the next / previous navigation bar might display a post under the category COUNTRY->New Zealand, rather than one of the 6 other posts in India. The clicked Indian post & NZ post are both probably in the category, say, DAYS->5-10days.

The reason is the default permalink is the lowest ID category. Do you understand?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
so in this case are India and New Zealand, children of the category Countries?
need the URL because I can't recreate this.

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 10, 2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:03 PM
joan

50 posts · Sep 2009
Brisbane, Qld, Aust
Sorry JuggleDad I thought you had the site from my login.

1. www.travelhorizonstyle.com.au
2. choose Country India (from the horizontal category bar or from the Select Tours widget)
3. click "Romantic Palaces & Forts"
4. note the 'breadcrumb' thinks we are in 'MAX PASSENGER SIZE' and that the previous tour in that category is 'Best of New Zealand'....

So step 2, is not having any affect because of the 'default' category. It stems from being able to assign multiple categories to a post, but the next/previous navigation is not able to detect which category was chosen.

BTW "Paul" I have paid a donation but it is not coming up on my login, probably because the credit card was in a different name.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What is the plugin you are using to get the widget with the category links?.

the link in the sidebar is taking you to
HTML Code:
 http://travelhorizonstyle.com.au/days/10-15days-days/romantic-palaces-forts/
and this is a single POST page it's not a category page so the next/previous should be the next/previous posts nothing to do with categories
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:42 PM
joan

50 posts · Sep 2009
Brisbane, Qld, Aust
I'm using "Multiple Category Selection Widget" on the right sidebar and if you choose the category for India, then the category page called "http://travelhorizonstyle.com.au/categories/385/search_type/and" appears. If you choose Country+India from the menu bar then the category page "http://travelhorizonstyle.com.au/category/country/india/" appears. Either way, when you click the post, "Romantic Castles & Forts" it does not display the permalink under "\country\india\"..., but the lowest category ID "\days\10-15days\"... As this single post has multiple categories.

I think what you're saying is that it doesn't matter which category you choose when you are in a single page, the next/previous navigation goes to the next post in the database.. Just wondering if there is anyway for Next/Prev navigation function to recognise which category was chosen, but I'm not hopeful on this one. Wordpress does not seem to cope with a single post in multiple categories very well.

BTW, do you know why my donation is not showing up against my name when I sent it after logging in? Not a high priority of course, so don't worry too much.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
BTW, do you know why my donation is not showing up against my name when I sent it after logging in? Not a high priority of course, so don't worry too much.
did you read the PM (Private Message) I sent you? Check the top right hand area fo the forum window and click on Private Message
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Added an RFE to http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3650
Old Jan 8, 2010, 03:28 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...vious+category post#3 for a possible solution

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 21, 2010 at 04:21 AM.