Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Want to add a flash banner to author and archive pages.

Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:16 AM
ARealpolitik

130 posts · Jun 2010
You guys have helped a lot this week and I hate to bother you again, but this forum is the only place that seems to know what it is talking about. If you haven't noticed I am spending this week updating a few of my site (long time coming) so after this week I hope not to be such a nuisance.

This is real tricky for me and even stumped the plugin developer... I am running Featurific on all three of my sites (paid for version) and it works well on main pages. I would like to add it to author pages and archive pages. I also want to apply the shadow box and moz border to it. I contacted the plugin developer Rich and this was his reply:
Thanks for your email. To add the plugin to the author and archive pages, you're going to have to do some Wordpress magic. I'm not a WP expert, but I imagine it would entail creating a custom template page for those pages and adding the Featurific code there. Maybe there's a plugin available for adding arbitrary code to a specific page?

As for the moz border and shadow box, the best way to do that is to simply edit featurific.php. Find the portion of the file that outputs the Featurific HTML, and simply add in the code there. That way, any time Featurific is generated, it will have the moz-border and shadow box. Alternatively (maybe easier), you could just add what you need via CSS and not worry about the HTML at all.
I understand this is not related to ATA but I am hoping to get some input regarding these projects. Hopefully there is some way to add them using ata magic or css insert. Any ideas?

Also, on the page menu thing. I got it fixed on two sites and looks good. On DCS http://www.digitalcombatsoldiers.com/ there is a % that is showing up below the menu. Any ideas on this?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This is easy,
1) edit index.php and find the line (line 16 in 3.7.1)
HTML Code:
	<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $bfa_ata['postcount']++; ?>
change it to
HTML Code:
	<?php bfa_widget_area('name= Featurific widget area'); ?>
	<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $bfa_ata['postcount']++; ?>
2) view the site
3) go to 'Widgets' and add in a text widget
4) put the code in the text widget
5) install the 'exec-php' and 'dynamic widgets' or 'widget logic' plugins and configure the text widget for the pages you want.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
ARealpolitik

130 posts · Jun 2010
Figures, easy for you to say... I am using 3.5.1 on the two sites I want to do this to. I checked and did not see those lines in index.php.

I have:

<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 0; /* Postcount needed for option "XX first posts full posts, rest excerpts" */ ?>

and

<?php /* The LOOP starts here. Do this for all posts: */
while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $bfa_ata['postcount']++; ?>

Once I have the widget what code should I place in it?

Will it appear centered on top of the page as it does on the main page?

And what about that % below the page menu on left?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
in 3.5.1 you can put it in 'Content ABOVE the LOOP' but it won't work once you upgrade...

Quote:
Will it appear centered on top of the page as it does on the main page?
it will appear in the middle area above the first post
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:07 PM
ARealpolitik

130 posts · Jun 2010
Okay, have widget, what code do I need to place in it? and which one of those plugins:
'exec-php' and 'dynamic widgets' or 'widget logic'
should I install? or do I need to install them now?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:34 PM
ARealpolitik

130 posts · Jun 2010
I installed the exec-php plugin. When I went to post an article it gave me a warning saying all php code within the post would be rendered useless. Since I have no idea what that means I disabled it till I know for sure. I have posts coming in that need publishing.

Are you familiar with this warning? It said I can disable the warning. Do I need to install this plugin since I placed the widget in the 'above the loop'.

I do not want to create any problems if I do not need to...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
ARealpolitik

130 posts · Jun 2010
I use this on my sites: Ad Code Widget, which says it can add php and all kinds of stuff. I have had no problem with it before but never tried to add php.

I provided the link so you could check it out if unfamiliar with it. What do you think?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I believe the warning is just that a warning. It applies if you have coded php in the text of a post. You need it so the php you put in the text widget will run.

Quote:
Do I need to install this plugin since I placed the widget in the 'above the loop'.
you put the code to build the widget AREA in the 'above the loop' now you need to add the text widget to that widget area.

in the widget logic section of the widget (the 'text' widget) you need to code the 'logic' for when it will show up, something like
HTML Code:
is_home() or is_front() or is_author() or is_archive()
to make it run only on those pages.

FWIW the dynamic widget plugin makes this easier for people that don't know php of the wordpress conditional tags
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
ARealpolitik

130 posts · Jun 2010
Got it, whew. The ad codes widget worked great. Did not need to add anything else..., none of those plugins you mentioned. This plugin might help others instead of messing with the other plugins.

One or two more questions and I swear I wont bother you for a couple weeks... I hope. I still have that % below the page menu on:

http://www.digitalcombatsoldiers.com/

and it hangs on first load without showing center column or right sidebar. Have to refresh for page to come up completely. I am tempted to take it back to 3.5.1.

You guys are really the greatest. The stress was really hurting my head, but I knew I could rely on JD and Larry, thanks guys... I have it working on all, main page, category pages, author pages and archive pages. Check it out if you will...

On the farm author page:

http://www.theblogfarm.com/author/eof737/

On the tree category page:

http://www.thejeffersontree.com/?cat=3

Using that ad code widget made it so easy:

http://www.primothemes.com/post/prod...-codes-widget/

Putting this in here for others... thanks again.

Don't forget my other question...