Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Web Hosting for WordPress »

[SOLVED] PHP? Any reason NOT to move up to ver. 5.0+

Old Apr 18, 2009, 02:56 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
[SOLVED] PHP? Any reason NOT to move up to ver. 5.0+

One of my plugins wants upgrading but announces the new version requires php 5.0+ to work correctly.

Is there any reason not to have my GoDaddy shared hosting moved up the notch from php 4.0?

Jim
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:49 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
4.4.9 was the last and final PHP 4 version, released in August 2008, and no further version will follow. It's safe to upgrade to PHP 5 now I'd say. I am running 5.2.9 without any problems. I'd not switch to a beta or "release candidate" version of anything, but PHP 5 has been around for a while by now
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:02 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Status update: I did move up to PHP 5.0 ans all is AoKay!

Note: I discovered that with my host GoDaddy I had to have "Hosting Configuration 2" (???) in order to run PHP 5.0. So, before I could up the PHP I had to let GoDaddy know to increase my "Hosting Configuration" to 2.0. Once that was accomplished I was able to go into my "control panel" and click on the PHP upgrade button.

There was no charge for either increase. Both changes required a few hours to "propagate" into/through the system. Also, neither change required any change to my website's name server addresses or anything like that.

I'm not all clear about the difference between "Hosting Configuration 2" and "1." It's all about GoDaddy rolling our more bells and whistles. But, it was something "good" and, like I said, there was no additional charge.