Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Links not working in IE

Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
rocoach1

8 posts · Aug 2009
What am I doing wrong? My links work fine in firefox and chrome, but do not work in Internet Explorer. Please help!

http://athletesbooks.com/rowing/row-in-college/
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What version of atahualpa and WP?
What link doesn't work?

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 25, 2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:49 PM
rocoach1

8 posts · Aug 2009
I'm using Atahualpa 3.4.1 and wordpress-2.9.1

The links that do not work in IE are all the button-type links in the text body.

Thanks...
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:01 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
First of all it looks like you may have cut from a Word document and pasted into WordPress as there is a lot of extra code going on. Aside from that though the code you use for your button.
HTML Code:
<a target="_blank" href="http://ezinearticles.com/?Row-in-College---Getting-Started&amp;id=3263337"><br />
<input type="button" name="" value="Row in College - Getting Started" /></a>
I believe should be more like the following which is also simpler
HTML Code:
<button onclick="window.open ('http://ezinearticles.com/?Row-in-College---Getting-Started&id=3263337')">Row in College - Getting Started</button>
I think the input type=button requires a <form> tag wrapper. I found this information originally here. I hope it helps.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Larry's right and it looks like this info was created in Word and cut/pasteed here - that tends to cause issues with WordPress

You have several non-printable characters in the text as well (what look like spaces before and after the word eBook? in the line 'What’s inside this eBook? ' are not blanks, but nonprintable characters - this to can cause issues - spically in IE whicvh is extremely 'finicky' where most of the other broswers are more forgiving.

When copying text from a WORD doc, when pasting it into a post, if you are using the visual editor, use the 'Paste from Word' button (one of the icons above the post content area)
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:38 PM
rocoach1

8 posts · Aug 2009
Thanks Larry and Juggledad for your advice. I'm working through the links using the fixes you suggested, and they seem to do the job.

You are correct. I wrote the original document in OpenOffice and pasted it directly into the Source box without using the Paste From Word function - which I will be sure to do from now on!

Once again, thank you for your help!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:53 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You can also go to the HTML editor and paste for OO in there. In that case you get the paragraph breaks but no formatting which is my favorite way of working. Did the button code work for you rocoach1?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:10 PM
rocoach1

8 posts · Aug 2009
Yep. Just finished testing and all the buttons seem to be working now. Now I wonder if I should go back and re-do the whole page using the editor as you've suggested.

Again, thanks for your help. Invaluable!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:21 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I would go through it as you have some places with multiple blank paragraphs. You could just go to the visual editor and copy the text from there (don't select the buttons) and then past using the paste as text function. So it would be
  • Highlight a block of text
  • Hit Ctrl+C to copy
  • Paste over the highlighted text with the past as text button.
Do that for all blocks of text and it should clean things up quite a bit.