Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Display Specific Post on Home Page

Old Jul 3, 2010, 01:18 AM
macky

9 posts · Jul 2010
Hi!

I have spent considerable time perusing the forum for anything that might help me with this question to no avail. So, please forgive me if this is a question that has been answered else where.

First of all, I love Atahualpa! It is a wonderfully customizable template.

--I have Atahualpa 3.5.1 running on WP 2.9.2

--The URL is http://www.solarforhome.org

--I would like to display post number #10 statically on the home page of my website and no other posts.

--Also, I do not want to have bread crumbing display on the homepage.

I am sure there is an easy way to accomplish this; however, I have been unable to figure it out. Any insight that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Macky
Old Jul 3, 2010, 07:09 AM
macky

9 posts · Jul 2010
I uploaded a screenshot of the desired layout http://www.solarforhomeuse.org/layout.jpg

Thanks again!

Macky
Old Jul 3, 2010, 04:02 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
How about making the post a sticky?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 04:10 PM
macky

9 posts · Jul 2010
Hi Juggledad,

Thanks for your response. I have done that, but I also get other posts displayed below. I tried to limit the number of displayed post in the "Reading Settings" to no avail.

Macky
Old Jul 3, 2010, 04:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ok, here is another idea. In the golf forum tutorials (available to members who have donated $20 or more a make sure you are signed into the forum when you donate) is a new post 'HOWTO: a 'Custom Query' PAGE template'
With this template you could create a new page, use the template and have it display the post in a particular category, say 'announcements'. Now you add the announcement category to the post and then at dashboard-settings-reading, you point the front page displays, to this new page you just created.

If there is only one post in the category, that is all you will see.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 08:52 PM
macky

9 posts · Jul 2010
Hi Again Juggledad,

I actually figured out how to do it...I used the plugin Featured Post

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/featured-post/

I created a template called home.php and copied the exact code from the index.php file and added

<?php
/*
Template Name: Home Page
*/
?>

at the top of the home.php template. I then uploaded it into the template directory.

I put the piece of code from the plugin before the loop.

<?php query_posts($query_string."&featured=yes"); ?>

Then I selected the post that I wanted featured on the Home Page, and it works like a champ!

I hope this can help someone else!

Thanks,

Macky