Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Installing & running WordPress »

Joomla to Wordpress

Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:28 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Joomla to Wordpress

I might get involved at some point in converting a Joomla news site to Wordpress, using, of course, Atahualpa as the theme. Anybody have any experience with such a conversion? I'll of course do a lot of research online, but any caveats, thoughts, ideas would be appreciated.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I used to use Joomla and have moved one site onto WordPress so far and I think I will be "redesigning" another one pretty soon. The biggest issue for me initially was the way Joomla and WordPress work differently. You have a lot more component placement possibilities with Joomla which in my opinion makes for a more cumbersome site. With Joomla you have components, modules, and plugins and need to know what they each do. Sometimes you have content in a module, forget about where you put it and have to spend time routing around to find it again.

I would encourage a client of mine to think of a fresh start rather than trying to replicate what they have in Joomla. I think you can add some wonderful functionality and ease of use with WordPress. With Atahualpa and/or Themeframe the sky's the limit as to look and feel.

Hope that helps a bit. If you have any questions ask away.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:38 AM
wlanguide

1 posts · Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
I used to use Joomla and have moved one site onto WordPress so far and I think I will be "redesigning" another one pretty soon. The biggest issue for me initially was the way Joomla and WordPress work differently. You have a lot more component placement possibilities with Joomla which in my opinion makes for a more cumbersome site. With Joomla you have components, modules, and plugins and need to know what they each do. Sometimes you have content in a module, forget about where you put it and have to spend time routing around to find it again.

I would encourage a client of mine to think of a fresh start rather than trying to replicate what they have in Joomla. I think you can add some wonderful functionality and ease of use with WordPress. With Atahualpa and/or Themeframe the sky's the limit as to look and feel.

Hope that helps a bit. If you have any questions ask away.
Hello lmilesw,

Nice to hear that you have moved your site from Joomla to wordpress. I would like to ask you a question, your reply is appreciated.

When you move your website, the URL changes, so you have to use different URLs for your wordpress blog, did you use the same domain or a new domain for your wordpress blog? If the same domain, are your rankings still there? If new domain, did you 301 it to the new domain from your Joomla domain?

I am having lots of URL problems with my Joomla website, I have been wondering about transfering it to wordpress, but I think I will lost my rankings and traffic.

Could you please share how you do it?

Thanks very much!!

Good luck,
Alex
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:22 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
In my case I wasn't too concerned about ranking but what I did was to build the WordPress site in a subfolder of a domain I never use and when all was done I used cPanel to unassociate the Joomla subfolder from the domain and then I associated the WordPress folder with that domain. If something went wrong I could always just reassociate my original site with the domain name. That's what cPanel allows me to do. It's called addon domains. I'm not sure how that would work with other hosts and other control panels such as Plesk.