Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

CSS priorities when adding, for instance, widgets in footer....

Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:17 AM
drex

11 posts · Jan 2010
Social Bookmarks CSS priorities when adding, for instance, widgets in footer....

when I add widgets in footer, as per http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=19079, it works great.

I need to change the color of the text in footer widgets...

I tried various things, the last being in the widgets.css file:

/* FOOTER WIDGET AREAS */
.widgetarea-three {
text-align: left;
font-size: 14px;
line-height: 1.3;
color: #ffffff;
}

also tried same code as #widgetarea-three in styles.css but in any way it is all overwritten by aside#text4-widget.

So I understand that the overall widget style is overriding the particular default footer style I selected; how would I specify specific styles and where to override the default behaviors assuming i followed the coventions widgetarea-three, widgetarea-four, and widgetarea-five??

Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
There's a simple way if you're only doing a few, without even editing the css files. Just put a style change in your template such as "style = color:#ffffff;" in your sidebar div.

If you were doing many, it would be easier to put it in a css file, especially if you wanted to change them.

If you want them to be all the same look, then give them a class, so if you change one, you can change them all with one css file edit.

Try different methods, then use firebug to check your results. Validate often as you go. Have fun.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:40 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
In my opinion, you should avoid inline CSS when possible, without good notes, it can make future maintenance a nightmare. By putting it into the CSS styling, you keep things together and can reuse the same CSS for multiple HTML elements

I would put any additional CSS in the last CSS file (not at my desktop so I can't name exactly) and remember the order of precedence for CSS
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:58 AM
drex

11 posts · Jan 2010
I tried several ways, and created a footer class for widgets called footc1 as you can see in screenshot below.

however, whereever i put it, it's css keeps getting overridden.

can anyone help? i've tried to move it several places.

thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	website1.gif
Views:	896
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2276  
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you need to be more specific in the CSS Selector. since the html structure is
HTML Code:
<div id="widgetarea-three" class="footerc1" style="padding: 0 10px">
      <aside id="text-4" class="widget widget_text cf">
        <div class="textwidget">
            your text is here
        </div>
     </aside>
  </div>
you should use 'div.footerc1 aside div.textwidget' - try that and see what it does
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
drex

11 posts · Jan 2010
thanks for the reply juggledad and forgive my ignorance; where exactly should i put this??

'div.footerc1 aside div.textwidget'

should that be an entry under style.css or widget.css?

should that be

.div.footerc1 aside div.textwidget {

blah blah blah

}

or

#div.footerc1 aside div.textwidget

the html being generated is from the firebug plugin; the code generating it is from the subtemplate footer.

i'm sorry, but i am not following where exactly to put this...