Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Help! Big Security Uh Oh!

Old Apr 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
OneSister

15 posts · Apr 2009
I've sent my blog link to a about 8 friends and family for testing and when they register to login they go right to the dashboard! Yikes! New registrants are given a Subscription level access. How do I fix this QUICK?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:11 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Change the status of the others to subscriber as well at Site Admin -> Users -> Edit
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:24 PM
OneSister

15 posts · Apr 2009
I did that but does that mean that I have to edit each user after they register? How can I make a global change to make all new users be able to post comments but not much more?

Also, is it possible to set it up so that when users log in they see the Home page first and have to click on the Site Admin link to get to the Dashboard?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:34 PM
Suzie

24 posts · Apr 2009
Onesister,

All subscribers are sent to a dashboard after logging in. Are you sure they were going to the Admin dashboard?

Register yourself as a fake user and see exactly where they were going.

I have not had any problems with users going to the Admin dashboard.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:54 PM
OneSister

15 posts · Apr 2009
Yep, they were going to the Admin Dashboard. But when I used the 'Change Role To' drop down box and selected 'Subscriber' after checking all the new users that seemed to have fixed it. They were listed as 'Subscriber' in the User screen, though. Now they login to the correct 'Subscriber' Dashboard. I just registered a test user after doing that and the new test user did not see the Admin Dash.

So there's no way to have them log in to the Home page and make the selection of the Dashboard when they need it?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 09:10 PM
Suzie

24 posts · Apr 2009
Other than using a plugin, I don't believe there is that option in Wordpress.

I downloaded a plugin earlier that will redirect subscribers to where ever you want them to go, but I have not played with it yet. Maybe yet tonight.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:56 PM
OneSister

15 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks, Suzie. Which plugin?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:28 PM
OneSister

15 posts · Apr 2009
Suzie, I just searched the plugins for something that might do what I was hoping for and I think I've found it. 'Sidebar Login', Author Mike Jolley. When a user visits the site there's a short form in the sidebar where they can login. After they've logged in there's Dashboard, Profile, Logout links. I did a few tests with my test users and it seems to work as promised. I'll have my beta testers use it to see how it works in the real world.

Let me know what you found. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 08:08 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Soooo ... I'm not going crazy? This really is a "bug" ... of sorts in WP?

I've been beating my brains out trying to figure out how to keep a registered subscriber from ending up at the WP Dashboard ... not what I wanted or envisioned at all for a subscriber.

Admittedly the Dashboard is filtered down to just Profile and Tools (Gears) ... and a lot of WP Development Blog data and WP News stuff ... all of which is the LAST place I want them to end up ... most new visitors would run for the hills and never come back after subscribing and ending up there.

Thanks for the topic and the tip on "Sidebar Login".

(The WP Dashboard? What were they thinking!)
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:27 AM
JBWhite

12 posts · Mar 2009
US
Having trouble with this plugin too. No username after somebody registers. Before verified they show up as: unverified__96842i25. Once verified....... username they picked is gone.

I tried it. Couldn't login with name I picked. When I requested the password it was sent with no username, just white space

In List of Users theres: NAME, EMAIL, ROLE...... no username. It's blank on the Profile page, try to edit it and get this: Your username cannot be changed. Argh! Nuts.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:38 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
JBWhite,

I actually switched gears a bit. I'm using Peter's Login Redirect, instead.

It is simple to configure and it seems to be working pretty well. I simply send all subscribers to the home page. Period end of story.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This is not a WordPress bug, but a feature (login going to the dashboard)

there are two ways a person can go to the blog, as a visitor or as a regiserted user.

A 'visitor' will always go to the front page of the blog - after all, they are just a visitor.

A 'registered' user is someone that has some degree of 'ability' in your site ranging from administration down to just subscriber. The WordPress login sends each person who logs in to the BACKEND of the site so they can exercise their ability. Just imagine if when you logined as admin, you were sent to the front page of the blog...how would you make changes??

An issue comes up when you want people to register in order to make comments - WordPress should really have a lever below 'subscriber' called 'reader' who can read and comment and only goes to the frontend, never the dashboard. And there are people who have created plugins to handle this. One is called 'Members Only' - I use it to secure an area of a school blog, anyone can get to the public area, but only registered users can get the the classroom info and since you can redirect where you go after loging in, I never send people to the dashboard, always to the page of my choice.

I hope this helps